Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Gemini GOTO RA Motor Stall Question

Started by Chris1, 01/14/2006 04:11PM
Posted 01/14/2006 04:11PM Opening Post
I recently bought a used MI-250 GOTO about a month ago and finally got a chance to use it. Everything went well until I got to "Align Star". Chose a star, hit the button and the RA motor stalled. The Dec motor slews just fine, the RA starts and then stops after about a second (I can slew in one second intervals in RA). Here is what I have tried with the same result: I tried a different known good cable. I reversed the RA and Dec cables from the Gemini (RA output fed the DEC motor, DEC fed the RA motor) and the same result from the RA motor. I unloaded the mount down to the RA head only-same result. I took the cover off and I can feel just a slight amount of backlash from the polar axis so I know it is not binding in the RA gears. The motor seemingly tracks without a problem, it just can't slew. I think it must be the motor but before I plunk down the money on a new motor, I want to see if I am missing anything. Upon close insection, I did notice cracks in the larger(gear?)casing between the motor and the worm assembly. The DEC motor has no cracks. Thanks for any help.
Posted 01/14/2006 08:59PM #1
Hi Chris,
What you describe is typical of a "goto" speed with is set too high. You should scroll down the Gemini menu to Set Up - Hand Controller - Speed - Goto speed and set it up to a lower value. Try 600 for example. Hope this helps.
Francois