Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

My peepers have degraded, need advice

Started by comocean, 06/08/2006 11:48AM
Posted 06/08/2006 11:48AM Opening Post
My factory original 1 x 7 peepers have degraded to 1 x 5 and my 21 year warranty expired over 30 years ago. I've asked my eye doctor for some of that solution he uses to dilate my eyes for use at night but he said no dice. Has anyone tried that dilation solution to increase their light gathering capability at night?

Allen

"Sometimes it proves the highest understanding not to understand." Gracian
Posted 06/08/2006 12:25PM | Edited 06/08/2006 12:26PM #1
Well Allen, welcome to the club and don't feel alone. I remember a discussion about this quit some time ago on one of the forums and IIRC the issue is that the solution dilates the pupil much larger than where it normally will open and interferes with the focusing of the eye. While at first it sounds like a good idea but in practice it will mess up a nights viewing.
Buck
Posted 06/08/2006 03:24PM #2
J. Allen Como said:

My factory original 1 x 7 peepers have degraded to 1 x 5 and my 21 year warranty expired over 30 years ago. I've asked my eye doctor for some of that solution he uses to dilate my eyes for use at night but he said no dice. Has anyone tried that dilation solution to increase their light gathering capability at night?

Allen

When my eyes are dilated for annual exams, I can not see squat.

I am pretty sure that the agent in those drops which affects the iris muscles, causing full dilation, also affects the muscles that focus the eye lens.

Jim
Posted 06/08/2006 04:41PM #3
All the comments above this one are absolutely true. I asked this very question a long time ago on a different forum. A Optometrist and a Ophthalmologist both essentially said the same thing. The solution they use besides dilating the eye also interferes with the eye's ability to focus. Unless they have came up with something very new then this should still be the case.
Dan

Danny Halstead
Moderator APM Forum
Posted 06/08/2006 05:40PM #4
Pardon me but rather than considering putting chemicals into one's eye, would it not be better to use an adjuvant device such as a video eyepiece connected to a monitor? The resultant image may be better than with your eyes only! And perhaps more sensitive than even a young eye!

That is my current fallback plan as the eyes degrade.

Gerald
Posted 06/11/2006 05:37PM #5
I heard about this along time ago but have never tried it: Wear an eyepatch (sold at WalMart, about $2.00) over your dominant eye a couple/few hours(no cheating and make sure patch seals out all light) prior to observing.

It may be a little uncomfortable, but keeping one eye in darkness is supposed to help it dilate to its maximum. Theory being it takes time to achieve this.

I remember Orion selling an "astro eyepatch" years ago. Apparently didn't catch on, though. I'd be apprehensive using meds on an otherwise healthy eyeball.

Bryan
Posted 06/11/2006 05:42PM #6
Has anyone tried NiteSpecs (see our sponsors list)?

I Yam What I Yam!
Posted 06/12/2006 06:45PM #7
J.
Some time ago I read an article on Cloudy Nights about a couple of older fellows who solved their failing eyesight problems by using a SBIG STV Deluxe webcam. This has a small video screen on it and lets you observe what ever your scope is looking at. There is no need for a computer as this device is a stand alone type. As a bonus due to the sensitivity of the instrument they indicated that they could actually see more detail.Just something to consider and my apologies if the concept has all ready been mentioned on this thread as I have not had a chance to read it in it's entirety.
Dan

Danny Halstead
Moderator APM Forum
Posted 06/13/2006 12:12AM #8
The best solution I've found is taking bilberry extract; it helps tired eyes that have been busy in front of a computer monitor or just being open, for that matter. Bilberry was taken by British airmen in WWII for night flying missions to improve their night vision.

You can buy bilberry at Wal Mart (it's not expensive) or splurge and buy what seems to be an even more effective extract at any health food store, if you wish to part with about $20 for a bottle of capsules (I've done both). It works for me...I'm 52 and suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis, and it's in my eyes too; I take bilberry with each meal, and pop a couple before going out to view. I notice increased sensitivity at night, and my eyes will not burn and sting...hope this helps.

Posted 06/16/2006 12:14AM #9
J.,
Here is that link to the article on Cloudy Nights that I was referring to earlier. It starts out with the following quote "Let me begin by saying that my seventy-seven year old eyes, even after the cataract surgery so successfully performed a couple of months ago, aren't nearly as good for astronomy as they were almost sixty years ago when I was an eighteen year old cadet in pilot training." Go to: http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=137
I thought if nothing else that you might enjoy the read.
Dan

Danny Halstead
Moderator APM Forum