NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Nexstar 8 GPS vs LX90/UHTC

Started by Roger Cole, 08/25/2002 04:37AM
Posted 08/25/2002 04:37AM Opening Post
Ok, ok, I know the LX90 UHTC is a lighter weight scope, has less clearance at the base, no PEC etc. It is also considerably cheaper. With the current discounts on both, the delivered price difference comes to $284, depending on how much the dealer charges for shipping the NS8. That figure is based on one published shipping charge for it and Meade's rather excessive "one price to overcharge everyone" for their shipping and handling. Then, there's the eyepiece deal.

At this stage I don't plan to start imaging, at least not for a while, but having been into photography quite heavily for years and still having an equipped darkroom, so it may well loom - or CCD for that matter. Either will be a while, though.

If it weren't for the eyepiece deal I'd probably go for the NS8 GPS due mainly to the heavier fork, gears, motors, and increased base clearance. (I feel pretty sure I will go to 2" eyepieces before too long.) But the fact I have no eyepieces now having sold all my old ones along with my last scope means that eyepiece deal is, well as I put it somewhere else, "a mess of eyepieces for a hundred bucks." I consider the 40 of limited usefulness due to the field stop of the 1.25" barrel, and the eye relief awfully short on the shortest ones, but there's still some decent mid range eyepieces there and the ones I don't want can be sold. Eventually they'd probably be replaced with better ones, but this gets a case of usable eyepieces to start at a good price.

Add the hundred bucks and the LX90 WITH eyepieces is still $174 less than the NX8. But then there's that heavier mount - I'm sure I'll want to piggy back a wide field of some sort later, I've been told the LX90 handles an ST80 ok but maybe not anything bigger - and the base clearance, and the NS 8 has the Fastar option. No downloads now whereas Meade does. Of course the NS8 GPS has the GPS, which I considered a complete frill but some knowledgeable people have told me it does speed set up.

Any thoughts? I believe there was someone here who had an LX90 and was selling it for the NS8 for more base clearance?

Apologies to those who endured the similar thread on s.a.a.!

Roger
Posted 08/25/2002 06:04PM #1
The nexstar 8GPS's that are now shipping out have all the latest software/driver updates. The download capablility is now there; there is just no newer upgrade to download yet; as any issues are 99.5% corrected. Not sure about the 8", but the nexstar11GPS first download will be on the web in very early september. Don't be fooled by the Meade ads, they're using example scopes/product info that is over a year old. A debate between a nexstar GPS and an LX200 GPS could go on for a long time. As for comparing the Nexstar 8GPS and an lx90, I believe the nexstar 8GPS is constructed much better and a lot more versatile, well worth the extra price in my opionion. The eyepiece deal is something to consider, but with a capable scope and your background, you'll probably get the imaging bug quicker than you may think. If I were you, I'd narrow my decision to a nexstar 8 GPS or lx200 GPS. Lx90 is a great visual scope concept, but it's just underbuilt for most higher level activities. Just my humble, biased opinions.