My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: GPS

Started by jmcarp, 11/05/2003 07:40AM
Posted 11/05/2003 07:40AM Opening Post
Mike,

If you haven't already done so, visit the Garmin homepage www.garmin.com then click on "Outdoor" and then "Product Comparison" (the latter is in the left frame of the page). This will allow you to select several units for comparison of features.

A good basic unit is the Garmin eTrex (the yellow one); however, I think once you get a basic GPS you'll wish you had the features like mapping, etc, and the increased accuracy of WAAS. I recently upgraded from an older Garmin GPS 45 to a Garmin eTrex Legend, and am very pleased with it. The Garmin Gecko series looks interesting for an entry level unit, but I have no personal experience with them so I can't offer any advice one way or the other.

I prefer the user interface of the Garmin units to the Magellens, but that's strictly a personal issue like Ford/Chevy or Celestron/Meade.

Jim
Posted 11/05/2003 08:18AM #1
Jim,

You are right on all counts. I just switched from the Garmin 45 to the Rhino 120 and I like it a lot. And there is no doubt that Garmin has the best menu and interface system. They also are generally more accurate (consistent) than other brands. In my classes the students bring in all brands and the Garmin stands out from the crowd. I do say that because I have Garmins, I have Garmins because that's the way it is.

Daryl
Posted 11/05/2003 08:18AM #2
Jim,

You are right on all counts. I just switched from the Garmin 45 to the Garmin Rhino 120 and I like it a lot. And there is no doubt that Garmin has the best menu and interface system. They are also are generally more accurate (consistent) than other brands. In my classes the students bring in all brands and the Garmin stands out from the crowd. I don't say that because I have Garmins: I have Garmins because that's the way it is.

Daryl
Posted 11/05/2003 09:56AM #3
I have read that the Magellan is much more accurate in wooded conditions. 3 meters or less in deep woods!
Why do you prefer the Garmin, I am inthe market so I would be interested in hearing your reasons.
Floyd

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager