Comet Neowise with satellite pass.

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: meade or celestron 8 inch gps or 10 gps

Started by Guy Jordan, 10/20/2004 08:13PM
Posted 10/20/2004 08:13PM | Edited 10/20/2004 08:13PM Opening Post
As a starting point, search the forums for celestron vs meade and start reading 8O ! This is mostly a Chevy vs. Ford type argument where you will find support for any (and EVERY) opinion.

My take on the debate is that right now they are very comparable. Celestrons 9.25" and 11" models are bigger than the Meade 8" and 10" models so they will "see" more. After than I will only point out that 2" accessories are better on anything but the 8" models because of a too narrow passage through the main mirror.

-Guy

"I know engineers. They love to change things."

- Leonard McCoy (Star Trek: The Motion Picture)
Posted 10/20/2004 08:44PM #1
I have a celestron nexstar 9.25 gps. I have enjoyed it very much. It has proved to well engineered. I do suggest though, that if you buy any nexstar you buy a landing pad for it (that is if you are doing visual, non-wedge), getting that scope to line up on the tripod with only one person is .... i guess the word for it would be dangerous, for your scope and you smile All and all a great product, but I have also used the Meade GPS scopes and they seem to be very similiar in quality.

Oh one more tip. If you get the 9.25 inch Nexstar GPS remember that it is much harder to find assosories made for it (usually items are designed for the 8 and 11 GPS) because its a new member of the nexstar line. Also the 9.25 GPS isn't Nexstar compliant either, but that didn't stop me and I dont regret it. Let me know if you have any questions or need some pictures taken of the Nexstar, I would be glad to.

David Albertson

Attached Image:

dalbertson's attachment for post 84062

David Albertson