Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: street lights redux

Started by hughbartlett, 05/01/2007 10:19PM
Posted 05/01/2007 10:19PM Opening Post
Maybe you missed my reply in the original thread, but I have had success with a red laser:

Almost all public street lights are operated individually by north facing photosensors mounted on top of the light fixture.

Although mine is a bit of a special case, because the north-facing window in the "hat" on top of the light is aimed at a cooperative neighbor's house that is situated uphill from my house, I have been able to turn off the street light across from my house with a red laser pointer for an extended time period. It takes a direct hit to trigger the photosensor, and the cobra-head reflector can block your line of sight into that tiny window unless you have a way of gaining sufficient elevation to aim your laser pointer into the photosensor window.

Another consideration is that you have to leave your laser on it continuously, or the street light comes back on within a minute. I have a Howie Glatter laser pointer holder attached to a spare finder scope that fits on a photo tripod. The finder scope is helpful to aim the red light precisely into the photosensor window. Even then, I have to position my set-up on the flat roof of my neighbor's garage to get a clear view of the photosensor.

Hope that helps,
Hugh Bartlett

"Praise the Lord for the expanding grandeur of creation, worlds known and unknown, galaxies beyond galaxies, filling us with awe and challenging our imaginations." 2007 Reform Siddur
Posted 05/01/2007 10:47PM #1
I wonder about the legal implications of putting out street lights. Should someone claim, the turned off light caused ??? who knows what, would you be held accountable? Just something to think about in the sue happy blame someone else for my... times we live in.

Regards,
Greg