SCTs Gone Video

Started by tbennett, 11/30/2014 11:10PM
Posted 11/30/2014 11:10PM Opening Post
I’m in the process of converting a Nexstar 11 GPS SCT to video with a Mallincam Jr Pro camera, MFR-5 reducer, Sony 9 inch DVP, and 35 AH battery mounted on a heavy-duty push-cart (see picture). The scope will remain alt-az mounted (no wedge) limiting integration time due to field rotation so the camera was purchased with the more sensitive EXview HAD sensor. The system is coming together nicely but I had a couple questions about what else is needed.

Is the stock SCT focuser adequate for video or is a dual-speed or motorized focuser necessary to achieve good focus?

I’m in mag-4 skies but might occasionally view from more light polluted areas - at what point is a LP filter necessary for video?

The system currently doesn't have a finderscope - only a Telrad. Is the Mallincam + MFR-5 displayed FOV adequate to achieve a 2-star alignment with the Telrad or is a finderscope needed?

Thanks, Tom

Attached Image:

tbennett's attachment for post 58914
Posted 12/01/2014 08:35PM #1
The stock focuser is more than good enough. I have installed a JMI motofocus on my C11, however, to allow me to focus at the monitor, but you do not need anything fancier than that. wink

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/