M3 Globular Cluster

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Starliner Mirror cell Repair Question

Started by lthaxton, 10/27/2002 11:26AM
Posted 10/27/2002 11:26AM Opening Post
I picked up a 12.5" Starliner cassegrain/newtonian a while back and have just started setting it up. As I was attempting to collimate I discovered that one of the main mirror adjustment screws had broken free of the mirror cell. It has a 1" square base that is simply glued (?) to the rear of the mirror cell. There is no evidence of any kind of welding on the remaining three. I tried quick set epoxy and let it cure 24 hours but it came lose again. Before I track down Devcon aluminum epoxy, anyone have hints?

I can actually get pretty good collimation w/o the screw as it has a push-pull setup and am going to use it as-is for a while. This thing is definitely a beast and maybe more than I am willing to wrestle around. It does well so far on my old DS-16. It appears to be the "standard" model and has a Feathertouch focuser at the cass focus (nice focuser!) and an original Telescopics 1 1/4" at the newtonian focus. Combined with the 60mm Carton guidescope, original sliding weight balance system and a nice finder it creates quite an impression! Anyone out there with an old Starliner manual???