Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

TAK FSQ-106: Traveler Alternative?

Started by splathrop, 07/12/2003 03:15PM
Posted 07/12/2003 03:15PM Opening Post
Anybody have any opinions on whether someone might be as well served with the TAK as the AP?

Steve
Posted 07/12/2003 04:57PM #1
Hi Steve,

A couple months ago I scoped out(ha ha) the Traveler alternatives, since I wanted a airline portable, visual use, wide field refractor of more than 100mm aperture. It really kinda depends on if portability is your #1 concern, and how astrophotography fits into your plans.

The FSQ-106 is beautiful, but with accessories is slightly heavier than I expected. It would've required a heftier mount and tripod, and associated weight. When all was said and done, however, it wasn't quite a "Traveler".

Be aware that some vendors sell "aircraft portable" 22" scopes. That's turns out not to be carry-on when you put it in a case... and when you find out that a good number of airlines have carry on limits of 21" or less!

I ended up with a carbon graphite TMB-105F/650 APO from APM with built in extension, sliding dewshield and feathertouch focuser. With rail, rings and Rigel finder it all comes in at about 8.5 lbs. Compressed down it's absolutely cute... shorter than the Traveler.
Tak or Stellarvue by a good margin. My "prototype" sample had tiny cosmetic issues, so I got it for a SV4 price... so it was
cheaper than the Traveler and Tak by quite a ways.

Because of the ultralight weight, I could then use a Wimberly mount and a Gitzo 1228F tripod. Total is less than 16 lbs and everything fits into a single 21" carry-on case.. with room for eyepieces and the diagonal!

From a glass standpoint, the Tak is flourite triplet (errata 12:36 Paul G corrected me - this is a quad), the latest Traveler is FPL53 EDFS ( synthetic flourite ) and the TMB using a Russian near equivalent SuperED. The TMB lens I received was better than .96 strehl. Technically, I've read that the correction capability of each type of glass in the upper/lower (nonvisual) ranges are in the order I've listed. I, frankly, can't tell 'em apart visually, and if you are into astrophotography, here's a sample taken from a TMB-105/650:

http://www.astro.univie.ac.at/~exgalak/koprolin/Photo/Neb/Horsehead_Region.html

If you are wanting photography, then you'd probably prefer the 3" focuser option rather than the Feathertouch. Looking at the assembly, I'm wondering if they aren't interchangeable?

Like an earlier poster of the Stellarvue SV4 photos point out, the 4" APO sector is crowded with
great quality scopes capable of taking wonderful photos and wonderful visual capability. It's all a matter of
what's your particular needs, your budget and whether your Daddy drives a Chevy or Ford.

I've a hunch you'll be overjoyed with any of these options!

Cheers and Best of Luck!