ROSETTE

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

17mm Baader Hyperion: The Good, The Bad & Ugly

Started by Rod Kaufman, 12/10/2017 12:49PM
Posted 12/10/2017 12:49PM | Edited 12/10/2017 12:54PM Opening Post
In reviewing the reviews of the Baader Hyperion line of eyepieces, the 17mm model appears to be a standout so I purchased one recently to test in my 16" F4.5 dob.
First, the good aspects of this eyepiece. I'd certainly agree with Dan Mounsey in his review of the line up that the Baader Hyperion has superb light transmission along with a cold, neutral appearance of the image along with excellent clarity:
https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/user-reviews/eyepieces/eyepiece-sets/hyperion-roundup-r1834
I was impressed with the view of the witches broom of the veil nebula together with a Lumicon 0111 despite the moderate level of light pollution in front of my home. The Veil is an object you'd usually employ a lower power longer focal length eyepiece under dark sky conditions for viewing and optimally with a 31mm Nagler along with an 0111 filter and apertures of 12" and above. However, despite the lower elevation of Cygnus in the December sky, the detail ascertained with the 17mm eyepiece was sharply demarcated and intricate when paired with a paracorr in my dob. I subsequently viewed the fetus nebula, NGC 7008 along with a followup observation of the crescent nebula, NGC 6888 and enjoyed satisfying views of these objects. I paired the eyepiece up with a good broadband filter and observed the little dumb bell, M76 and a fairly bright galaxy, ngc 1023 in Perseus. I managed to pick out some dimmer nebulas around Cassiopeia with the same combination with good contrast despite the high ambient light pollution. I really do believe the phantom coating group in this eyepiece helped improve the light throughput and perhaps the contrast as well.
Now for the bad, (and the ugly), the edge correction WITH a paracorr in my 16 F4.5 dob is terrible and downright ugly without one unless you happen to like birds, particularly seagulls in your field of view. I'd say only about central 40% of the 60 degree plus field of view is useable expanding to about 50% with a paracorr. I'd say it's about the least corrected eyepiece I've seen in quite awhile in a fast scope. I think it's fine for an extended object like a nebula with a paracorr in a fast scope but I expected more from a modern eyepiece design with exceptional coatings like this one.
Finally, I'll comment a bit about the eye relief of this eyepiece. It's similar to my 10.5mm pentax at 20mm but that can be a blessing or a curse depending on your viewing needs. I don't wear eyeglasses so I prefer much shorter amounts of eye relief with less sensitivity to head placement and blackouts. It's also easier to shield your observing eye from extraneous lighting around an urban environment so you won't pick up as much reflection around the eye lens as you might from a long eye relief model.
I do like the views through this eyepiece but it does have significant shortcomings with a fast f-ratio scope.
Posted 12/10/2017 12:58PM #1
Rod Kaufman said:

In reviewing the reviews of the Baader Hyperion line of eyepieces, the 17mm model appears to be a standout so I purchased one recently to test in my 16" F4.5 dob.
First, the good aspects of this eyepiece. I'd certainly agree with Dan Mounsey in his review of the line up that the Baader Hyperion has superb light transmission along with a cold, neutral appearance of the image along with excellent clarity:
https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/user-reviews/eyepieces/eyepiece-sets/hyperion-roundup-r1834
I was impressed with the view of the witches broom of the veil nebula together with a Lumicon 0111 despite the moderate level of light pollution in front of my home. The Veil is an object you'd usually employ a lower power longer focal length eyepiece under dark sky conditions for viewing and optimally with a 31mm Nagler along with an 0111 filter and apertures of 12" and above. However, despite the lower elevation of Cygnus in the December sky, the detail ascertained with the 17mm eyepiece was sharply demarcated and intricate when paired with a paracorr in my dob. I subsequently viewed the fetus nebula, NGC 7008 along with a followup observation of the crescent nebula, NGC 6888 and enjoyed satisfying views of these objects. I paired the eyepiece up with a good broadband filter and observed the little dumb bell, M76 and a fairly bright galaxy, ngc 1023 in Perseus. I managed to pick out some dimmer nebulas around Cassiopeia with the same combination with good contrast despite the high ambient light pollution. I really do believe the phantom coating group in this eyepiece helped improve the light throughput and perhaps the contrast as well.
Now for the bad, (and the ugly), the edge correction WITH a paracorr in my 16 F4.5 dob is terrible and downright ugly without one unless you happen to like birds, particularly seagulls in your field of view. I'd say only about central 40% of the 60 degree plus field of view is useable expanding to about 50% with a paracorr. I'd say it's about the least corrected eyepiece I've seen in quite awhile in a fast scope. I think it's fine for an extended object like a nebula with a paracorr in a fast scope but I expected more from a modern eyepiece design with exceptional coatings like this one.
Finally, I'll comment a bit about the eye relief of this eyepiece. It's similar to my 10.5mm pentax at 20mm but that can be a blessing or a curse depending on your viewing needs. I don't wear eyeglasses so I prefer much shorter amounts of eye relief with less sensitivity to head placement and blackouts. It's also easier to shield your observing eye from extraneous lighting around an urban environment so you won't pick up as much reflection around the eye lens as you might from a long eye relief model.
I do like the views through this eyepiece but it dies have significant shortcomings with a fast f-ratio scope.

I have had a full set of Hyperions since within about 2 months of them hitting the market. They don't see much use these days as I later went with a full set of Pentax XW's. I cant disagree with anything you stated. In general the Hyperions don't like short focal length scopes. That said I cant really complain at all in anything f7 or longer.

20" MidnighTelescopes f/5
8" f/16 Muffoletto Achro
Meade 6" AR6 f/8.0 Achro
Celestron C11
Parallax PI250 10" F/5 Newt
Vixen FL102S,NA140SS,R200SS
80mm Stellarvue Nighthawk with WO APOupgrade lens, 90mm f/16.67 Parallax Achro
LXD75/LX200, Mini-tower, GP-DX, CG5 ASGT, LXD650, GM-8, G11, GM-100, GM-150EX, GM-200 and a Gemini G40
4" portable AP convertable 44" or 70" pier
Stellarvue M7 Alt-Az, TSL7 Pier/Tripod
12.5" f/5 MidnighTelescopes DOB Swayze optics
Statham GA