Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC4628

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

24mm Hyperion, first light.

Started by dhilts, 11/11/2007 11:15AM
Posted 11/11/2007 11:15AM Opening Post
I received my new 24mm Hyperion last week. Last night was the first chance I have had to use it. I planned on using my 120mm/F12.5 achromat refractor.

First light was on M57 only because it was nicely positioned and was going to be lost in some sky glow as the night went on. Unfortunaely, just prior to this I had been looking at comet 17P through an 18" Obsession using a 24mm Pan. My little scope doesn't compare and I was under-whelmed. However, the view in the 24mm Hyperion was very nice, crisp to the edges, (at F12.5 it had to be), and once my eyes adjusted I had a vey good view of the ring in the nebula and the surrounding star field.

Second light was on the comet. Great view of the halo nearly filling the FOV. A couple of bright little pin point stars shining through the glow of the comet and just a hint of the core could be seen. Lots of faint stars in the background. The extra field over a plossl was a treat and framed the comet very nicely.

I like the 68 degree field. I have some 60 degree eyepieces which show the field stop and I like it when this is out the view. The hyperion does this nicely.

I tried the 24mm in a couple of different barlows just to see how it worked out and there were no issues. With an Antares 2" 1.6X, the effective eyepiece is 15mm or 100X in my scope. I usually use a 15mm Russian Erfle for this power but the Hyperion has a bigger field and was crisp across the view. I ran a few bright stars out to the edge and was able to detect some lateral colour but only at the extreme outer portions. Unfortunately, Mars was still very low in the sky and the best I could do was to detect that there were some dark surface features without definition. I ran it out to the edges and there was no excess color or flaring in the image. Better skies were needed for higher definition.

I checked out the Auriga star clusters as well as M35 using the unbarlowed 24mm. This was the first time I had ever noticed the faint little NGC cluster that is a companion to M35. The increased FOV over a Plossl allowed both clusters to be seen in the same view. This was a nice surprise as I knew the NGC cluster existed but had never really identified it as an individual object.

Before the night was out I did have an opportunity to try the Hyperion in an 18" Obsession and compare it to a 24mm Panaoptic. The target was the double cluster, high in the sky and easily detectable to the naked eye. Those who have made this comparison before and have suggested that the Hyperion was a little soft at the edges were being very gentle with their comments. The Panoptic showed a very crisp view right out to the edges. The field in the Hyperion was the same size and just as bright but the outer portions were very soft. Only the central 30% was what I would call crisp and eveything else was very soft turning to downright blurry in the outer portions of the field. The difference between the Pan and the Hyperion was very obvious and even a novice would have noticed. I would be very disappointed if I had purchased the 24mm Hyperion to use in a fast Newt. I might add that I also own a 19mm Siebert ultra that I have also tried in this same scope and it was very good, right to the edge. (That eyepiece has impressed everyone who has tried it).

In conclusion, I am somewhat happy with my purchase. The 24mm Hyperion works beautifully in my refractor which is my main use scope. Furthermore, it mates well with my existing collection of barlows. I would be happier if the Hyperion was more usuable in a fast scope as I have plans for a bigger aperature DOB. If those plans ever come to fruition, I am sure I will want the quality of the Panoptic. Meanwhile, The hyperion will work for me as it would for anyone with a SCT or refractor at the slower focal ratios. I have not tried the shorter focal length Hyperions but because these have a built in barlow, they may handle fast scopes better as these eyepieces are effectively working at the F ratio coming out of the built in barlow lens. I will have to research some more reviews before I add any more Hyperions to my collection.

clear skies,
dan

Posted 11/13/2007 09:21AM #1
Thanks, Dan. Excellent review. I was considering this for my f/4.5, but will probably pass now.
Posted 11/13/2007 12:34PM #2
Thanks for the review Dan, it is a good read! grin

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager