Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

35 Panoptic -still going strong. A fun post

Started by mirfak, 08/04/2006 05:09AM
Posted 08/04/2006 05:09AM | Edited 08/04/2006 05:11AM Opening Post
This post is my opinions, no facts for the experts to correct.

The 35 Panoptic is my first 2" eyepiece. It came my way late 2001 via the local classifieds. A fellow "lost interest" in astronomy, but thats another story. My gain.

35 Panoptic "Rap"

The first time I held it, Big fat grenade/
A work of art, Uncle Al gettin' paid/
Luxury green, violet lens coat /
Televue cap, eyepiece dope/
Sharp green lettering, between the double stripe /
Thick rubber grip, hold on tight/
Behemoth, Honker, Big Mama Jama /
Replace it soon? , I dont wanna! 8)

It was a few days later that I first used it. The intervening nights I would come home, take it out the box, peer thru the giant eyelens, project the image of the ceiling light on my hand, and other juvenile rituals of eyepiece infatuation. I was so young then.

That weekend I put it in the 7" F/15 and pointed at Jupiter. WOW! There it was, floating with 3 moons, stripes and all, in front of stars. A real 3-d effect. Jupiter was in Gemini at the time, so the background full of stars. This ep and scope gives 76x, enough mag to see sharp planetary detail.

When did this ep debut? 1992 I believe. Its been around 14 years, unchanged. No panoptic type 2. No 36 to replace the 35. There's the 41 pan, there's the 31 Nagler, but those are just too darn big.(for me) These latter two, while fine and high quality ep's, are like the the "11" setting from "Spinal Tap"

Let me address the detractors out there. I have read posts where some of you find fault with the 35 Pan. Some say it has pincusion distortion. WELL I happen to enjoy this effect, especially in my 12.5" f/5 dob. Some of you will say there is no advantage to using this ep in a 7" f/15, as less expensive ep's will do the job just as well(in this scope.) Yes you are right, and Im wrong. Now let me continue.

I use this ep in 3 scopes. Its the first ep in. When I replace with higher power, its a great star chart weight. Its got nicks and abrasions and dust. Its been dropped in grass. Its has gouged numerous pits in the earth. The chrome barrel is scored with a ring of overlapping set screw marks. This ep has worked the public at many Sky watch events. Its been eyelashed and fingerprinted. Still works fine after five years.

My best views ever with it: the Veil and North American Nebulae with an OIII filter in the 12.5" dob. No, not in the same field.

Disclaimer:
If you are not familiar with this ep, or are new and just have the plossl ep that came with you first scope, dont run out and buy a humongous super wide field expensive ep just because I like it. A good set of plossls are perfectly acceptable for a lifetime of observing, and will work well in any scope if they are decent quality. But if you can afford it, a Panoptic is nice to have. Dont be like me and spend half you bank account on a used 35 Panoptic. (I missed my car payment that month)

Clear Skies,
John R

Attached Image:

mirfak's attachment for post 32768
Posted 08/04/2006 05:29AM #1
Hi John,
I liked it!

[COLOR="Teal"]35 Panoptic "Rap"

The first time I held it, Big fat grenade/
A work of art, Uncle Al gettin' paid/
Luxury green, violet lens coat /
Televue cap, eyepiece dope/
Sharp green lettering, between the double stripe /
Thick rubber grip, hold on tight/
Behemoth, Honker, Big Mama Jama /
Replace it soon? , I dont wanna! [/COLOR]

Nagler Blues

[COLOR="Blue"]First time I saw the 31 Nagler, it was big as an oil can,
Yeah, first time I saw the 31 Nagler, it was big as an oil can,
I could not really believe it, when I held it in my hand.
It weighs as much as bottle of ripple and it feels like a hand grenade, but baby when you look through it your mind begins to fade.
Yeah I really love that Nagler and I won't change my mind,
but if I ever was to want more power, the the 17 Nagler will do just fine.[/COLOR] 8)

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager