9mm Nagler Type 1 No Good?

Started by Oddog, 06/30/2015 11:03PM
Posted 06/30/2015 11:03PM Opening Post
I've had a nice condition Tele-Vue 9mm Nagler Type 1 (second style with knurled rubber ring) for sale for months at $145, which I thought was a realistic price but so far no interest. Is there something wrong with this lens type? Bad reputation? Just curious why such a lens from such a company would be so unwanted. Am I going to have to give this EP away to move it on? I can't use it as I am unable to use any 82 degree EP due to eye relief issues. Tom Duncan
Posted 07/01/2015 05:15AM #1
Hi Tom, I used an original 9mm Nagler "Type Zero" for (decades?) and it was (is) WONDERFUL! The only reason I sold it off was because I got my eyes fixed and can now see the entire field of Ethos. The pre-type 2 Naglers did not correct for spherical aberration of the exit pupil, but for 13mm or shorter EFL that was OK because the aberrated pupil still fit thru the dilated pupil of most people's eyes using f/4.5 or slower. Offset eye of course gives that kidney bean effect as the eye's pupil shears off pupil-marginal rays. People who USE eyepieces seem to want the latest versions, even though most of the vintage TVs are wonderful. People who COLLECT eyeps seem to prize the really rare old ones. So it's the in-between vintages that generally sell for FAR LESS than purchase price. So much for my opinion trying to rationalize what makes and models typically go for used. Tom Dey

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos
Posted 07/01/2015 08:32PM #2
1. The market's really bad right now and been that way for a while.
2. Just keep posting every couple of weeks or so
3. It's hot, folks are doing summer stuff, traveling, beach, not thinking of another eyepiece
4. I have one already
5. Everyone's so into the cheap crap that the very notion of quality was lost some years ago
Good luck
John