My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Burgess/TMB Planetary Series

Started by jmclaugh2001, 12/16/2006 03:04AM
Posted 12/16/2006 03:04AM | Edited 12/16/2006 03:08AM Opening Post
Hi eyepiece experts!

I'm interested in trying the BO Planetary eyepieces, but I am not sure which one I should buy to try. What eyepiece would I need to fill a gap?

Here's what I have in eyepieces under 10mm.

Naglers 4.8 and 7 mm
UO orthos 4 and 9 mm
Televue Plossl 8 mm

Which one would you try?

Thanks,

John

Posted 12/16/2006 03:38AM #1
In what telescope will this EP be used?
Focal length and aperture will be a deciding factor.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 12/16/2006 07:08PM | Edited 12/16/2006 07:14PM #2
I use the 9mm and 4mm with a 120mm f/8.3 achromat and they work very well. Even the 4mm is easy to focus on most nights and I appreciate the eye relief and wide fields of view. I am going to add the 7mm pretty soon and then the 5mm when I save up a bit. I used to use orthoscopics but learned that eye relief is important to someone with glasses like myself. I have been advised on this site that I would get very little or no benefit from buying premium eyepieces for my current refractor. For the price these seem to be the best you can do condsidering the performance you get. BTW if you buy them used make sure you are getting a recent production run as the earlier ones had some problems with the retaining rings causing reflections. A kit was supposed to be provided to remedy the situation but some owners may not have bothered.

Clear Skies, Mike
Posted 01/17/2007 12:34AM | Edited 01/17/2007 11:17PM #3
Hi Floyd and the rest,

Received my 6mm BO/TMB Planetary eyepiece today. I bought it here on Astromart after it was highly recommended in a long discussion on a earlier thread. Seems like a well built eyepiece with even the box being well made. Unfortunately, I will probably not be able to test it till March though.

My question is:

Why are the 6mm eyepieces going for less than half price, while the other ones aren't? Especially since they seem to be getting the best rating of all from some of the eyepiece forum members.

Did I get a first series run? How can you tell? Are they really bad?

Thanks in advance,

John