Is it just me?

Started by fblue, 06/02/2012 04:59AM
Posted 06/02/2012 04:59AM Opening Post
Seems very slow around here lately. So, is it just the weather sucks or what? wink
I know that it is just the beginning of the new observing year for many, but what is going on with everyone as far as new eyepieces and experiences lately? grin

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 06/02/2012 12:52PM #1
Well, I just received a new-to-me Meade 7mm RG ortho. Hoping for first light in my PST for the Venus transit if the clouds will part. 8)

Posted 06/03/2012 07:52AM #2
Floyd Blue said:

Seems very slow around here lately. So, is it just the weather sucks or what? wink
I know that it is just the beginning of the new observing year for many, but what is going on with everyone as far as new eyepieces and experiences lately? grin

Well Floyd,

I have since a long time the impression that this forum slowly is fading away. It's very obvious if one compares the activities on eyepieces on "the other forum" where you are active as well. "There" (I'm alway amazed how painstakingly the names of the other forums are avoided! LOL) the activities on eyepieces, telescopes, and so on, are very high.

One reason - at least from my point of view - was the fee charged some years ago to further participate in this forum. With a deep sigh I spent 10$ to maintain my access. But seriously: I wouldn't renew the membership if requested again.

Although at the time of my joining this forum (around 2002) I liked it for being a bit more serious as the "other" one, not that much trolling. But in the meantime I've become aquainted whom to trust "there" (as "andydj5xp") and I do get much satisfaction from the many good contributions.

Having retired from work I've plenty of time to visit many forums. But as far as astronomy is concerned I'm always starting my visit on "the other forum" and only occasionally make a stop here. May be sad, but that's the way it is.

Regards

Andreas
Posted 06/03/2012 07:29PM #3
Hi David,
That is possible, people may be busy at this time of year. During the bad weather they have time on their hands. smile

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 06/05/2012 05:59PM | Edited 06/05/2012 06:00PM #4
Hi Floyd smile All the clouds rolled in today to obscure the Venus transit...so not happy about that. But ok...I saw the last one luckily.

Converted my main-line eyepieces once more...this time to Pentax XWs and liking them much much better than anything I've had previous. Just working with the 40, 20, 14, and 10, then Barlowing for higher mags...keeps what I have to bring out to a minimum. Also "refining" my planetary collection a little...looked for a 7mm TMB Supermono but hard to find these days, so gave up and picked up a Pentax SMC Ortho instead for that slot. Glad I did...had forgotten how spectacular these eyepieces were. So now have the 8 AP-SPL, 7 SMC Or, 6 ZAO-II, and 5 XO. Have a 10 AP-SPL also but considering ditching that and replacing with a 4 ZAO-II instead, then maybe the 2.5x XO and will be done.

Also looking forward to getting the new Baader Classic Ortho set with turret and Barlow. Should be a fun little set.

btw - also pick up the Nikon 12x50 AE binoculars. OMG are they fantastic astro performers...and solar also with front filters.
Posted 06/07/2012 06:21PM #5
Floyd Blue said:

Hi Floyd,
You're not alone. If it's good seeing, I'm at work out of town. When there aren't clouds there's a brush fire nearby. I've owned a Siebert Planesphere 6.4mm EP for over a year and it hasn't seen first light yet cwy
Steve