Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Meade Super Plossl

Started by Thomas Marshall, 02/19/2016 11:52PM
Posted 02/19/2016 11:52PM Opening Post
Are the Meade Super Plossl's that are selling at $25.00- $35.00 online today the same as the Meade's that I bought in the 1990's?? It seems I always paid around $79.00 then, and I am matching some pairs for my binoviewer. So the 26mm I just ordered should match exactly with my old 26mm?? Thanks - Thomas M.
Posted 02/20/2016 06:55AM #1
Thomas Marshall said:

Are the Meade Super Plossl's . . . same as the Meade's . . that I bought in the 1990's?? . . . So the 26mm I just ordered should match exactly with my old 26mm?? Thanks - Thomas M.

First, a few questions: (1) Does yours have JAPAN marking on it ? (2) Will the new one say CHINA on it ? IF (1) is true and (2) is also true, then no, probably not. The manufacturing sites have changed for many of the optics over the years.

Question: (3) Are you wanting an "exact match" or just "simmilar" optical characteristics like "Field-of-View" and "eye relief" sothat they can be used in a bino-viewer (Note that your eyes are most likely different, like mine are. Very few people have "EXACTLY the SAME, PERFECT EYES" so some want "EXACT DUPLICATES with consecutive serial numbers" but most people can "LIVE WITH" eyepieces made (A) in the same country (B) Same brand name, different countries (C) Same optical properties, different brand names, same basic design "ITS-A-PERSONAL-PREFERENCE, you decide.

Observation: Price points in 8-24mm Zoom eyepieces vary tremendously. I own several MADE-IN-JAPAN (REALLY NICE) VIXEN ZOOMS (List at $200 new way back then). Now on the used market they get confused with other 8-24mm zooms with Celestron, Meade, etc. markings on them. I think their fundamental design has roots in common, but some here ONLY WANT THE TELEVUE "CLICK-STOP" 8-24mm ZOOM !!!

I hope that helps some. I also hope that others can "chime in" here as well. Best Regards, Ed
Posted 07/19/2018 10:22PM #2
I often see complete sets of Meade's Series 4000 Super Plössl eyepieces for sale on Astromart and Cloudy Nights at very cheap prices. I took advantage of one of these bargains and now have a good set of eyepieces that I use for public star parties, (children can be harsh with eyepieces, I'd rather not risk one of my good TeleVue eyepieces).

I have two 26mm Meade Series SP eyepieces in my collection, one was made in Japan, the other in China; I can see no difference in quality between them when compared side by side at the telescope.