Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Sell off an Ethos?

Started by NebSteve, 09/02/2009 08:26PM
Posted 09/02/2009 08:26PM | Edited 09/02/2009 08:34PM Opening Post
I was wondering, and it has been mentioned here, why would people sell off an Ethos Eyepiece?

Well, I may have one answer. I bought my Ethos 13mm in June after some good advice from members on this forum. Here's an interesting observation. At a comfortable eye position, a significant part of that amazing TFOV is not in view. I have to get my eyeball down on the eye lens and look around.

It reminded me of my 9mm Nagler which has a less pronounced effect like this. So, here's an EP worth lots of money when compaired to what other equipment could be bought for that same amount, and its biggest sales point is not readily seen in casual use; at least by me.

Now my experience with the Ethos is limited to the 13mm and only in a long focal length scope, but certainly other people have noticed this. Some, perhaps to the point where they replaced it.

My first night with it was the second Saturday at the Grand Canyon Star Party. It worked so well, the visiting public had no problem at all using it. However, I slipped in the 12mm Nagler type 2 and got the same wow out of nearly everyone. Yes, I know they might be impressed with anything, but the unbiassed reaction was about the same.

At home the following Monday I held a little shoot out and the Ethos did edge out over the Nagler, but an older Nagler and it was close. What sold me was the view of faint nebulea and on star clusters. On Saturn & Jupiter I couldn't see a difference! Now that's on a mount that tracks automatically. The extra field of view may prove quite valuable to a Newtonian owner.

So the eyepieces I haven't tried yet are the newer 12mm Nagler type 4 and the newer smaller 13mm Nagler. I haven't tried Meade's 14mm Nagler knock-off either, but have never even seen one. I'd love to have a look through those and see if the improvements made over the years are comparable to the performance of the Ethos, taking into account 18* less field.

Deeeeeeep thoughts...
Steve
8)

Posted 09/02/2009 09:13PM #1
Steve Hollenbach said:

I was wondering, and it has been mentioned here, why would people sell off an Ethos Eyepiece?

Well, I may have one answer. I bought my Ethos 13mm in June after some good advice from members on this forum. Here's an interesting observation. At a comfortable eye position, a significant part of that amazing TFOV is not in view. I have to get my eyeball down on the eye lens and look around.

Eyepieces are like shoes, one style is not right for everybody. That said, I've never had the problem you describe. At a comfortable position, I can see all that wonderful field.

Likewise, comparing the 13 Ethos and a Nagler delivered the opposite of what you experience.

But, to answer you question...why do some people sell 'em? Some, like you, don't think they are "right" for them. Why do most people sell 'em? Likely right now THEY NEED THE MONEY, which is understandable. ;-)

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 09/02/2009 10:15PM | Edited 09/02/2009 10:17PM #2
It really depends on the type of scope that one has if Ethos eps make sense. If I had a large fast dob (20-30 inch f/4ish), I would be first in line for 2 or 3 of these Ethos eyepieces due to the exit pupal restriction of the scope. As it is, I am content with my 12 inch dob due to the portability and great views. Even as such, there days when I look into my eyepiece case to see 800 dollars of my money tied up in 2 Panoptics and 2 Naglers that are being used in a scope that I paid 600 bucks for. But I guess that's why I have not made plans to look through an Ethos yet...as my Naglers seem to provide an adequate selection of powers and field.

...and in the mean time, I'll be content to acquire "soda straw" eyepieces at reduced prices...already planning on a 22 Nagler just for the heck of it once the E21 becomes readily available.
Posted 09/02/2009 11:04PM #3
Steve Hollenbach said:
a significant part of that amazing TFOV is not in view. I have to get my eyeball down on the eye lens and look around....certainly other people have noticed this.

Hi Steve,

I love the diversity in this hobby; how two people can both notice the same thing but have completely different reactions.

I actually agree completely with the effect you describe but for me it has been engaging to know that for all the field I can see with a casual look, there is still more waiting if I push my eye in more. Because I hardly ever reach the edge, when I change to, say, a Panoptic, the field stop appears very unnatural.

I have not noticed any difference between my f/7 and f/12 scopes.

My foibles aside, as more Ethoi get out there we will see them begin to trade regularly just like Nagler's do now - for 100's of different reasons. I have a friend waiting for used prices to come down a bit to jump in. But he won't be getting mine...

Clear skies,
Milt
Posted 09/02/2009 11:55PM | Edited 09/03/2009 12:02AM #4
Steve Hollenbach said:
Here's an interesting observation. At a comfortable eye position, a significant part of that amazing TFOV is not in view. I have to get my eyeball down on the eye lens and look around.

Yeah, I've heard that before about the 17mm, and I really can't relate when you say "eyeball down to the eye lens". I use a 13mm Ethos almost all the time. Really. Sure it doesn't quite have the eye relief of a Pentax XW or Radian, but it has way more than enough to use without eyeglasses. If I put the eyeguard up, my face touches it but doesn't even press. Do your eyelashes actually touch the lens? With the eyeguard up, does your face push it back down?
--
Mike
Posted 09/03/2009 09:54PM #5
I'm gonna buy me a used 13mm Ethos when i find one at a good price. I want to compare it to a mint 1982 T-1 Nag.

If the Ethos can WOW me like my first Nag did in the 80's then the Ethos is a keeper.

Chas