Caster Mounting for Homemade Dome

Started by dv78391, 07/23/2003 06:34PM
Posted 07/23/2003 06:34PM Opening Post
Well, I'm in the middle of construction of my observatory, and it's progressing well (due in large part to this group, and individuals who provided a wealth of information). So, I'd like to ask for some opions concerning the mounting of the casters that will carry the dome.

This may be hard to explain, but here we go:

The dome is 7ft in diameter, and will be on top of a 8x8 square building. The dome has a 4" wide circle of plywood on the bottom where the 8 casters will roll. That same circle of plywood is 3 laminations of 3/4 in ply, and 4 wheels equally spaced around the dome mounted horizontally will ride on the surface created by the 3 laminations so that the dome can't be pushed off of the building.

The casters to be used are some scooter wheels I got very cheap (1.98 per pair with bearings included). I need to mount these in a way that will allow them to be adjustable up and down. They will need to mount to a section of 2x6 standing up (the 2x6 is in the frame of the roof), and with a bolt going through the middle of the wheel. Any ideas on how to do this?

Please see my pathetic attempt to explain this graphically in the enclose image. It's supposed to be a cross section of the area I'm talking about.

Or ... Perhaps someone could tell me how they did thiers instead?

thanks,
dan

Attached Image:

dv78391's attachment for post 7844