Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Dome Rotation - Suggestions

Started by pawb63, 06/20/2006 06:21PM
Posted 06/20/2006 06:21PM Opening Post
I am almost finished building my dome observatory, but I am having a little problem with rotating the dome (which is why one choses a dome in the first place wink ). I am currently using a steel rail with steel V-groove casters (photo attached). The problem with this is that there is a tendency to derail the casters from the ring. I wonder if rollers would be more forgiving. Robert Hayes' rollers/ball casters look interesting. Appreciate your help.
Paul WB

Attached Image:

pawb63's attachment for post 32123
Posted 06/20/2006 06:28PM #1
Paul, have you verified that the circle is true? Have you deburred the edge of your "track" and tried applying some grease? These are what i would do first.
Posted 06/21/2006 12:15AM #2
I would loose the rail and change the rollers to skate wheels. Modify the horizontal wheel to keep the dome aligned by running on the plywood rotation ring and you will loose a lot of head ache. I have been involved in doing both ways and have found the steel rail to not provide anything to the system but problems. Besides the with the horizontal wheel the V groove is superfluous.
Magic Man
SSMO
Posted 06/22/2006 11:52AM #3
Hi Paul,
I see you noticed my transfer bearing idea. I don't know how well it will work, I'm still working on the building.
I had six 1/8" steel arcs water jet cut to place on top of the walls for the bearings to roll on. The inside diameter of the steel hangs over the inside wall top plate by 1/2". I did this because I'm using garage door rollers mounted to the dome ring to locate the dome in the xy axis. The rollers roll on the inside diameter of the top sill and the steel overhang will keep the dome from possibly blowing off.
I'm siding the building now and should have pics soon.
Bob

http://community.webshots.com/user/phatbob02

http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/550511533ICdPnP

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?