Home depot trailer...anyone tried this?

Started by coyotesx5, 05/12/2003 06:49PM
Posted 05/12/2003 06:49PM Opening Post
Has anyone tried converting the "cheap" trailers they sell at Home Depot into a mobile observatory? I envision a "hanging" pier that would, in motorized fashion, descend through a hole cut out in the floor to keep the scope/pier firmly planted on the ground, making vibrations from the trailer inconsequential to exposures. I saw a "Rube Goldberg" version of this many years ago in the Poconos and it worked well before concepts like "track and accumulate" replaced "hypered emulsions."
I recently bought an HGM-200 mount for my C-14 and am looking for a "rig" that will suffice. Anyone ever try these sub-one-grand trailers with any luck? Got designs? J.G.
Posted 05/12/2003 08:11PM #1
Joseph
That is exactly where I started out but things do get complicated. There is wind stress, and other factors that will need to be figured in but I do believe it can be done. My problem is I over complicate things. So keep you focus on what you are doing and resist "inprovements" along the way. After all is said and done you can always go back and inprove. JMTC
Magic Man
Star Shooter Mobile Observatory