Ideas on opening roll-off roof

Started by [email protected], 10/23/2003 03:53PM
Posted 10/23/2003 03:53PM Opening Post
Looking for any ideas on a simple way to roll the roof off me new observatory. It rolls off fairly easily by hand but to do this I have open from the outside with a rope attached to the outside. Ideally I like some simple "crank" system using a cable. I'm kind of stuck right now. Thanks for your help.
Mike Benz
Waunakee, WI

Attached Image:

mikebenz4565@gmail.com's attachment for post 10170
Posted 10/23/2003 04:02PM #1
You might use a simple winch sold at Harbor Freight and Tool for about $100.00. It would have more than enough power and a simple pulley system would do the job.
Clear Dark Skies to the land of a thousand lakes.
Magic Man
SSMO
Posted 10/23/2003 05:15PM #2
How about a garage door opener chain or screw type to operate the roof? It would go both ways . Of course you will need power to the building.
Just a thought.
Floyd

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 10/24/2003 04:06PM #3
Mike,
Here's a photograph of the $20 winch that I use to open an 8'x12' roof. The gearing is such that the roof opens easily and in a short amount of time. With the proper placement of pulleys and eyebolts, one winch will open and close your roof. A free-spooling winch makes life easier too. I will also post an image of a similar winch that is totally unsuitable for this purpose.
As an aside, I would like to say that the act of being in a small enclosed room and using your own muscle to move a roof and reveal the heavens is an exciting, dramatic time for me. I always feel that I should have Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" or some such thing playing in the background. Time to burn a CD: Music for Observatories. Some soaring, dramatic music for opening the roof , something slow and contemplative for the closing, and your favorites inbetween. Wouldn't the neighbors love that!

From a usually quiet,
dan kowall

Attached Image:

dan  kowall's attachment for post 72454
Posted 10/27/2003 11:49PM #4
I have to second Dan's boat trailer type hand winch. If you work the pulley's right, you can wrap the cable around he winch and continue on to a fixed point on the end of the roof near the door. That way, if you turn the crank one way, you open the roof; turn it the other and close the roof. One wide of the winch spool will take up cable and the other side will let it out. Sorry, if my description doesn't help.

rb