Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Observatory Security System

Started by Bryan J R, 10/06/2005 03:16AM
Posted 10/06/2005 03:16AM Opening Post
My nephew has almost finished my roll off roof observatory. It's a modified 10' x 14' metal garden shed. smile

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions or have installed any sort of alarm system for an observatory?

I've thought of just installing a car/truck horn that would go off if someone managed to break open the door. (I'm having my nephew construct a stronger door behind the flimsy ones that come with the shed) That would be fine when I'm around to hear it.

I'm wondering if anyone sells an alarm system (for boats, cabins, RV's and the like)that would work at a remote site in cold weather.

I was thinking of an alarm that would transmit a message to a dedicated pager or radio receiver, as opposed to signing up to a security service, so someone off site could be alerted when nobody's home(i.e. when I'm gone on vacation).

The observatory is in the barnyard of the family farm, as opposed to a remote site in the mountains. There's generally someone on the property most of the time, so I'm mainly worried about the relatively brief periods when no one is on the farm.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Posted 10/06/2005 01:38PM | Edited 10/07/2005 04:43PM #1
Hello Brian!
I thank you for posting this, as I was just about to do the same, since I almost finished building my roll-off roof too... wink

My observatory is located in the City, and even though my neighborhood is nice & calm, you never know...

I was looking into something like this (check the link below), which might do the trick... I just have to be able to provide the electricity to it... maybe a JumpStart battery with an Inverter... 8)

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F003%5F000%5F000&product%5Fid=49%2D1000

Hopefully we'll get some ideas...

Clear skies, and a secure observatory!

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 10/07/2005 04:41PM #2
If it's in rural Vermont (hypothetically) and you get a phone call from the system--assuming it works, and that they don't walk in and rip out the phone lines--what are you going to do about it?

alarm-type systems only work if there's someone to hear the alarm (or, more accurately, if the thief thinks/cares that someone will hear the alarm).

Big heavy old used safes are always popping up on the market; I've seen 'em for as little as $500. If I were going to leave a lot of expensive equipment in a rural location that's what I'd use for sure. they won't stand up to any modern skilled theif but neither will a $99 system.

Posted 10/08/2005 04:05PM #3
Bryan,
If your observatory is located on "the family farm", I think you might be missing on of the most effective and flexible options, a big female dog.

Most urban dwellers miss this option because they think of dogs as being restrained in some fashion. A good farm dog will usually be a mut,free running, that lives outside, rarely sees the inside of the house unless it is really cold, and is usually self-fed from the dog food bag. A dog that lives a life as described will have a great degree of ownership of its territory and while not having to be "mean", it can still be an excellent kids pet, it will very protective of it's territory. The only thing that will neutralize this security agent would be a bullet and if your criminal is of this type, stealing your scope is only a side issue. Also a final point, a farm dog and it's expenses are considered as deductible business expenses.
Posted 10/09/2005 05:23PM #4
Bryan, My 7' homemade dome observatory is approx 400ft from the back of my house but it does not have permanent power which would be a problem trying to hookup an alarm system.

The door has 2 heavy duty key locks, and the 2 removal dome opening parts are held down with 4 inside heavy duty clips each. Finally I have a 1/2" chain with a lock, connecting a wall stud, through the base mount, and clipping on to each of the 2 removeable sections. All computers, eyepieces, and goodies are kept safely in the locked garage. Considering it took me hours in the daylight to install the scope, a thief may have his work cut out for him in the dark. But of course if the thief really wanted my 19-yr scope, he could have it. With a replacement insurance policy, I could buy a new one with the nice coatings.

One of my favorite stories was from 8 years ago, someone stole my falling apart 15-yr old John Deere tractor right out from under my deck in VA, insurance bought me a brandy new one. Gotta love that...

Regards,
Steve