Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Observing from a tower/platform

Started by JBR, 06/17/2003 08:45PM
Posted 06/17/2003 08:45PM Opening Post
In light of the ongoing rain locally, I have nothing better to do with my astronomy time than think about things like my long-range dream to build myself a permanent observing site. I know that a big chunk of the seeing-degrading turbulence is located within the 12 meter layer of the atmosphere closest to the ground. Some on this forum have built observatories on the second or third floor of their home, which seems to solve the turbulence problem but at the expense of an off-setting effect from viewing from/over a heated structure and roof. Has anyone ever observed with a telescope from a three story detached tower or platform? I'm thinking of something like a short forest fire watch tower. It shouldn't be too expensive to build one out of lumber. You could even get fancy and have a free-standing central hub of pillars to give greater rigidity and vibrational isolation to the part that the scope would sit on.

So, has anyone ever seen/tried such a beast?
Jim
Posted 06/20/2003 12:18AM #1
I believe the superb Mars observer Donald Parker has exactly that a elevated observing site which he uses to get his great pictures in Florida.

Rob