Kite

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Roll Off

Started by Ridgerunner, 11/01/2007 03:46AM
Posted 11/01/2007 03:46AM Opening Post
Do anyone have the pictures,plans, etc. of their personal Roll off observatory. I need an Idea for my project. I have a 16 inch sono tube Dob, I would like the right way or personal stories of problems and successess of building their observatory.
Thax

-----------------------------------------------

Be a Blessing too someone today !
Clear Skys,
Bill - Astro Hillbilly 8)
And Pluto is still a Planet !
Posted 11/02/2007 03:53PM #1
Bill-

I have a small roll-off, but do not have any photos that would be useful to you. I do have a suggestion though...

Our local club, the Tucson Amateur Astronomy Association, has twice coordinated an observatory presentation and tour. The way it works is that 4-6 local members with observatories each prepare a 10 minute presentation and slide show. At a regular monthly meeting, these folks present on thier observatories and answer questions.

Then, on the weekend, we have an observatory tour where members caravan around town for the day and visit each of the observatories that were presented the night before. This year we had about 20 folks on the tour.

It is a great event and it provided me with ideas and contacts that made my observatory a reality. If you can get your local club to coordiante something like this it will be great fun.

Hope that helps,
Alan
Posted 11/02/2007 04:57PM #2
Bill,

You can check out my observatory at http://www.waynesastronomy.com/observatory.asp

Roll off roof with garage door opener to open and close with..

Wayne

[COLOR="Blue"]Wayne[/COLOR] 8O

---
Takahashi TAO-130on a Losmandy G-11 Gemini 4
Williams Optics Zenithstar 105 APO on a G-8 Gemini 4 (Field setup)
ST2000XM with CFW10/L-R-G-B-Ha-SII-OIII filters
Home Built backyard Observatory
Understanding Wife.. 8)
---
Posted 11/05/2007 09:57PM #3
Thanks Guys for taking the time too answer my questions. I am disable now, so that why I ask. If there was something you wished you could change, what would it be ?

Bill

-----------------------------------------------

Be a Blessing too someone today !
Clear Skys,
Bill - Astro Hillbilly 8)
And Pluto is still a Planet !
Posted 11/15/2007 10:15AM | Edited 11/15/2007 10:18AM #4
Hello, I am new to the group, but did a few years ago build a roll-top observatory here at my home in central N.C. I have attached several photos of the observatory, I designed it in Autocad, I have been using it for 9 years now.

The design allows the top to sit down on the walls and seal itself from the weather when not in use. All that's required to prep the observatory for use is to inflate the pneumatic (12") tires with a portable air compressor, the steel frame is raised approx. 1.5 inches when inflated, grab the handle on the front side and roll it off. I also have a drive system that I added later for removal the lazy way. The equipment is always at ambient temperature, so cool down time is minimal.

Mark Clegg

Attached Image:

cleggm's attachment for post 118425
Posted 11/15/2007 10:20AM #5
Hello,

Here is another picture from a different angle

Mark Clegg

Attached Image:

cleggm's attachment for post 118426
Posted 11/15/2007 10:21AM #6
Hello,

Here is another picture from a different angle

Mark Clegg

Attached Image:

cleggm's attachment for post 118427
Posted 11/15/2007 10:23AM | Edited 11/15/2007 10:54AM #7
Hello,

Here is another picture from inside. Size of observing room is 10' X 14', Control room is 6'X 6'

Mark Clegg

Attached Image:

cleggm's attachment for post 118428
Posted 11/17/2007 05:32AM #8
Bill,
Guess I'm a little late in line for this topic but here is mine. Not really set up for horizon viewing but works very well with confined spaces and tne stealthy "garden shed" look

Look here:

http://www.pbase.com/amateurtom/_my_astrophotography

Tom T.
Guilford, CT smile
Posted 11/21/2007 07:20PM #9
I have a very small yard, so I built a 4'x5' shed that rolls away from my pier. It was built in my driveway as a series of panels, then moved to the yard to be painted and bolted together. It moves very easily on five-inch casters.

Attached Image:

SCollett's attachment for post 118564