SUGGESTION FOR SCREENING OUT LIGHTS

Started by darodger, 12/21/2003 02:16PM
Posted 12/21/2003 02:16PM Opening Post
I have an acceptable urban sky. On a clear night I can see 5th magnitude naked eye. Unfortunately my next door neighbor is trying to emulate the local used car lot and has strung lights along our adjoining fence, their trees and across their back porch. I looked at various ways of reducing the effect of those lights. (Talking to them about the lights elicited sympathy but no action) Then I remembered an old projection screen in the basement that I used to use for showing 35mm slides. It works perfectly. I went to a camera store and bought a second one and now, with both of them up, I can ignore those lights entirely. The screens can be set up in seconds and raised to an appropriate height. I realize that there are professionally made light barriers available, but the projection screens are cheap, lightweight and easy to install and take down. Just beware of wind. One night both blew over in a sudden gust.
Posted 12/31/2003 04:04AM #1
David,
You have impeccable timing! I was going to ask for suggestions for a large-scale light shield. I also have a neighbor with an affinity for light (Damn those flood lights!). I live in a very, very, small community with great skies (mag. 5+) but I lack trees or fences between any of my neighbors. In any event, I like your idea for blocking the light. Personally, I’d like to find something a little more permanent that would look “aesthetically pleasing.” I really don’t want to convert a shed-kit type structure as I don’t need to permanently cover a ‘scope, I just want something that will allow myself and maybe 1 – 2 others sufficient room for imaging/observing. Tonight I stopped at a local building supply place and had the idea for using bungee cords, 7’ steel posts and large tarps. This is by no means a permanent (or aesthetically pleasing) solution; however, it would get the job done.
For a more permanent solution, I’ve been tossing around the idea of using 1 foot square pavers for a patio-type base with concrete supported wood posts at the corners with some sort of cable or rope supporting a light weight, black or dark colored shield. Are you searching for a permanent, multi-use solution to your neighbor’s love-of-light? Any ideas?
Chris
Posted 12/31/2003 05:45AM #2
Hi,
I have made 6X6 ft panels out of pvc pipe and black fleece blankets. The blankets are light, cheap, and excellent at blocking stray light.
Jim
Posted 01/30/2004 11:40PM #3
David:
Invite the well-illuminated neighbors over to look through the scope sometime. While they are viewing, demonstrate what the extra light does to the visual images. Then ask them to turn off the lights, and come back and look again. This worked on my neighbor.:-)