M8 & M20 Wide Field

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

temperature and insulation

Started by RobertHowe, 06/11/2011 08:36PM
Posted 06/11/2011 08:36PM | Edited 06/11/2011 08:37PM Opening Post
I have a lovely roll-off with a peaked roof and eaves. The maker and original owner fit bits of insulation into the spaces under the eaves and covered the inside with soft and hard insulation. As the building ages and I perform maintenance, I find my self wondering, why try to insulate a roll-off observatory? Isn't the idea of keeping the scopes outdoors being to let them be at ambient temperature?

Attached Image:

RobertHowe's attachment for post 53553

Robert Howe
Wilbraham MA

TeleVue 85 f/7 // Astro-Physics Traveler 105 f/6 // Astro-Physics 130 f/8.35 // TEC 180 f/7
Coronado 60 DS
"Scopes, Brains and Wisdom--but no Beauty"
Posted 06/12/2011 08:51AM | Edited 06/12/2011 10:47AM #1
Insulation can be important to keep the inside of the observing deck closer to the night-time ambient temperature during the day when it's closed.
Posted 06/14/2011 06:35AM #2
Robert Howe said:

I have a lovely roll-off with a peaked roof and eaves. The maker and original owner fit bits of insulation into the spaces under the eaves and covered the inside with soft and hard insulation. As the building ages and I perform maintenance, I find my self wondering, why try to insulate a roll-off observatory? Isn't the idea of keeping the scopes outdoors being to let them be at ambient temperature?

Hi Robert,
What part of the country do you live in?

In the Phoenix area, I'm considering air conditioning for my observatory. Set the thermostat at the average temp for nights at a given time of year, and the deltas for cool-down or warm up won't be
so severe.

When I kept the scope in the house at 78*, and evening temp outdoors was 97* F, it would take an hour or two to warm up. Dramatic changes in temperature can be a challenge.

Steve
8)