I LOST YOUR IMAGES!!

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

10" Mak- APM/Wirth Custom on NJP

Started by lthaxton, 10/01/2006 08:00AM
Posted 10/01/2006 08:00AM | Edited 10/01/2006 08:01AM Opening Post
Recently picked to replace my FS-152. It is a 10" F/12.5 from APM, custom made by Wirth around Sital optics reportedly having supersmooth surfaces. Now if the darned weather will let me have a chance to see what it will do I can post a performance report.

Attached Image:

lthaxton's attachment for post 33754
Posted 10/01/2006 11:37PM #1
Gorgeous looking scope Larry. That should do nicely!

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 10/04/2006 01:24AM #2
This thing actually works:

4 October 2006

Just a bit after midnight. I was out with the 10” Mak looking at the Moon and have to say “WOW!!” I ran the range from a 55mm TV plossl (57x) to a 5mm Pentax XW (625x) and several in between. Great performance with an instantaneous transition from the brilliant lunar edge to pitch black sky. Like someone drew a line between darkness and light. Beautiful! With the 55mm Plossl the Moon was razor sharp and I could easily have been looking through the FS-152 as far as resolution, sharpness and contrast were concerned. It seems like a minor insult to say “refractor-like” as this scope’s performance stands on its own. I think my favorite views were in either the 20mm XW (156x) or the 14mm Meade UW Series 4000 (223x). Sky conditions were not up to really high power and the image softened a bit when I went beyond the 14mm. A 10mm XW (312x) gave softer detail and at 625x it was softer still though quite pleasing nonetheless. Clouds were passing across the sky partially obscuring the Moon and frequently enveloping it.

I think collimation is very close but still needs a little work. Defocused star images had the CO ever so slightly off center. I am going to try to get it closer once I am sure what the best way to adjust the secondary is. The fool thing has six screws and I am not sure which are the actual adjusters. Not really interested in dropping the secondary down the tube.