Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

How to get something off a MK67 primary?

Started by toml, 10/21/2003 03:19PM
Posted 10/21/2003 03:19PM Opening Post
Somehow a seed pod from a backyard tree is now on the mirror of my Intes MK67. I doubt if it's causing light loss per se, but it bothers me that it's there. It's only about 1/8" diameter, and I would be happy if I could knock it off and over to the gap between the mirror and the wall of the OTA, but it seems to want to stick to the mirror which makes me think it will eventually eat the coating there. Am I better off trying to knock the OTA until the thing does fall into the gap or is there a safe way to take the corrector off and pick it off the mirror and reset the corrector without hurting collimation or the matching of the corrector to the primary?
Thanks.
Tom.
Posted 10/21/2003 09:55PM #1
Hi Tom,
I had to take the back plate (and primary mirror) out of my MK-66 to replace the grease with something less sticky. When re-assembled, collimation was dead on (by star test). Perhaps use a soda straw and puff the seed off, or use the edge of a piece of paper...

I am trying to work up the nerve to put a permanent fan in my scope to cool it down in a hurry. Great scope after a hour's cooldown!

good luck
Chuck in N. Florida