New Tube

Started by NebSteve, 11/05/2012 07:52PM
Posted 11/05/2012 07:52PM | Edited 11/05/2012 07:54PM Opening Post
Of the commercially available aftermarket products we occasionaly seek to improve or repair our telescopes, the Carbon Fiber tube replacement offers strength, light weight and thermal stability. Besides that they look really cool!

Trouble is, if you happen to own an Intes Micro Alter M10/10 (their 10 inch MAK), you're out of luck. The tube for a C-11 is too wide and too short. Making a custom one is nearly three times the price. I do want to re-design the meniscus carrier at the head end, and replacing the whole tube is not much more work. Hmmm...

I have assisted several people in their home-built airplane projects, and over the years became familiar with laying up materials like Kevlar and Carbon-Fiber. Out in the shop I have plenty of left-overs, and have recently found a source for Nomex/Kevlar honeycomb panels. Great for creating rounded shapes, not just stiff aircraft floors. OK, materials are in hand, and the stock OTA has been measured six ways to Sunday. The next "Great Experiment" is about to begin.

I'll keep you posted on this Forum. If there are other owners of this very fine instrument, who are interested, I'll let you know how it goes. The end product will resemble a Planewave 12.5 Dall Kirkham, but with filtered vents just ahead of the mirror and just behind the meniscus. I'll see what I can do about progress photos.
Thanks,
Steve
8)

Posted 11/06/2012 01:49AM #1
Sounds like an interesting project Steve. Another area you might consider modifying is the baffle tube. Air currents rising from the end of the baffle tube can take their toll, and trying to minimize the effects might be worth the trouble. I wonder if a perforated baffle might allow the warm air to dissipate more quickly?

Jim McSheehy