I LOST YOUR IMAGES!!

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: Do You Own An "Ad Astra" Mak?

Started by Dave Sewell, 04/18/2006 11:57AM
Posted 04/18/2006 11:57AM Opening Post
Herbert, No I don't own one, but I've got a 1977 catalog from A. Jaegers and they used to sell them (if its the same scope you refer to.) The specs are listed as 70mm active diameter with a 765mm focal length. It came attached to a fork mount like the ones on small achromatic refractors, but no tripod, just 1/4-20 threads on the bottom for attachment to your own tripod. Also included were two "five-element" Orthoscopic eyepieces (whatever that means) for 50x and 92x, dust/dew protection cover, solar aperture cap, sable brush, flannel cloth, solar projection screen assembly, coated optics. Imported. The ad never calls it an "Ad Astra", so you'd have to tell me if that fits the description or not. As a teenager, I always wanted one, but couldn't afford the $199.95 asking price. A couple of years ago, I bought an ETX 90RA model brand new for less than $200, so even after inflation over all those years, the Meade costs less and has a built in motor drive too! Still, at that time, Maksutovs were very expensive scopes, so at least this blast from the past was affordable to most. Dave Sewell
Posted 04/18/2006 02:29PM #1
These Jaegers Maks were made in Poland, assembled by high school kids. This was during the communist era.

They were ultra-sensitive to decollimation, and most if not all were miscollimated by the time they reached the final customer.
I tried to adjust a number of them for local amateurs, but the adjustments were incredibly crude. It took hours of trial and error to line one up. They were pretty horrible scopes even when properly aligned. Don't even think of buying one.

Rolando