I LOST YOUR IMAGES!!

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: Do You Own An "Ad Astra" Mak?

Started by Adam, 04/18/2006 01:41PM
Posted 04/18/2006 01:41PM | Edited 04/18/2006 01:42PM Opening Post
One sold years ago here on A-Mart (At least an ad). Saw one on the "other" site a few years back also. From time to time they come up. There was an article on one of his scopes (the 20" I believe you mentioned) in S&T a while back also....
Posted 04/22/2006 04:40PM #1
Hi- I knew Max Bray and some of the people who worked for him. Max made his Maksutovs(up to 10 inch aperture) in fairly heavy wall aluminum tubes. These tubes were machined so that the corrector and the primary mirror fell into machined seats and no collimation adjustments were ever needed. I think he made the Ad Astra in 3.5 and 5 inch sizes. Some of the Ad Astras had a screw in corrector cell to allow the instrument to be used at very close distances. It sounds like the Jaegers Ad Astra and Max Bray's Ad Astra were two really different animals. My 11.5 F-23 Mak was made by Ken Hebert, who was an associate of Max Bray. It is in a machined Aluminum tube with seats for the mirror and corrector. Finding a tube with a thick enough wall and long enough to machine is nearly impossible in a bigger instrument. I really wanted a bigger Mak some day, but never could figure out where to get a tube to hold it. Max solved this by using a tubing and two cell arrangement for the 20 inch at Vega-Bray observatory. THis arrangement was used by the late Harry Simmons of Scottsdale many years ago for a 11.5 f-23 Mak that he made with the help of Max and Ken. Hope this sheds some light on the Bray Ad AStra.
Regards
Keith Parizek
Posted 04/22/2006 04:41PM #2
Hi- I knew Max Bray and some of the people who worked for him. Max made his Maksutovs(up to 10 inch aperture) in fairly heavy wall aluminum tubes. These tubes were machined so that the corrector and the primary mirror fell into machined seats and no collimation adjustments were ever needed. I think he made the Ad Astra in 3.5 and 5 inch sizes. Some of the Ad Astras had a screw in corrector cell to allow the instrument to be used at very close distances. It sounds like the Jaegers Ad Astra and Max Bray's Ad Astra were two really different animals. My 11.5 F-23 Mak was made by Ken Hebert, who was an associate of Max Bray. It is in a machined Aluminum tube with seats for the mirror and corrector. Finding a tube with a thick enough wall and long enough to machine is nearly impossible in a bigger instrument. I really wanted a bigger Mak some day, but never could figure out where to get a tube to hold it. Max solved this by using a tubing and two cell arrangement for the 20 inch at Vega-Bray observatory. THis arrangement was used by the late Harry Simmons of Scottsdale many years ago for a 11.5 f-23 Mak that he made with the help of Max and Ken. Hope this sheds some light on the Bray Ad AStra.
Regards
Keith Parizek