HorseHead and Flame

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

CAses for my AP900

Started by fblue, 03/07/2016 12:36PM
Posted 03/07/2016 12:36PM Opening Post
I have been looking for cases for my AP900 for some time now but kept finding that cost and weight was a big factor with most all cases I found. I happen to be checking Google and found a link to some on Eb@y that seemed a good deal and the perfect size too. So I ordered two of them for a total cost of $146 including shipping.

They arrived 4 days later and I inspected them and found they were indeed almost identical to the Pelican brand. But these cost 1/4 to 1/3 that of a Pelican of similar size and weighed a few pounds less. The cases included full pluck foam and the top was also fully foamed with egg crate and 2" of regular foam. Just the foam from Pelican would be $59, so this seemed even better than I had hoped.

I fitted the mount using one case for the DEC and one for the RA and put cables, hand pad and other things into the DEC to even the weight of the case.

These cases are solid and well built. For the price I have seen none that compare and the fit and finish is as good as Pelicans that I have here.

Here is a picture of the cases loaded and ready to go. smile

Attached Image:

fblue's attachment for post 60104

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 03/08/2016 01:06PM #1
Posted 04/30/2016 05:51PM #2
Nice cases and a good deal. I would suggest adding silca gel packs to these (or any other) water-tight cases. When you close them up at the end of the night, you trap whatever moisture is in the air captured in the case in the same space as your equipment. I use Porta-Brace cases (lighter alternative to Pelicans) for my EM-200 mount head, and noticed that when I'd open it to set up, there'd be condensation on the mount castings and electronics box. Better safe than sorry. Now with a couple of desiccant pouches thrown in, the interior stays dry.

Regards,

Jim