Wanning Crescent and Venus

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

CGEM mount on CGE Tripod mod

Started by howardgator, 04/03/2014 08:48PM
Posted 04/03/2014 08:48PM | Edited 04/05/2014 06:56PM Opening Post
As anything I write these are suggestions and it is up to the reader to determine its worth. You must use your own judgement as to safety and applicability to your situation.

I found a new CGEM on line for $1250. I have several scopes the largest being a C11. The mount comes with the medium duty tripod same as an Advanced GT or similar mount.

Through some research I found that the 40# rating of the CGEM could be increased to 50# by adding the CGE tripod.( The celestron site stated that the only differences between the CGEM and the CGEM DX is the DX uses the same weights/bar size as the CGE and a CGE tripod. Other than that the CGEM and CGEM DX mounts are the same.)

I saw some other posts suggesting the using the Orion Atlas pier extension with the CGEM. There were some concerns about the bottom with its large alignment pin.

With that in mind I picked up a CGE tripod right here on Astromart. I bought a pier extension from Orion. The pier extension is indeed compatible with the CGEM. As speculated in the other posts, the bottom can easily reversed leaving a flat surface.

A plate was needed to interface the pier to the tripod without drilling any new holes in the tripod top. Luckily a 5/8" aluminum plate was included with the tripod. It already had the holes that corresponded with the tripod drilled and tapped at 3/8-16. I added 3 more 3/8-16 tapped holes for mounting the pier extension.

I drilled three holes in the bottom plate of the pier. I was careful to pay attention to the relationship of the CGEM adapter plate holes to the tripod leg position. Be sure that the mounting holes for the CGEM top plate to the extension tube line up with the legs.

The final assembly is accomplished by fastening the aluminum adapter plate from the bottom with 3 button head cap screws 3/8-16 x 1 add a flat washer to spread the load.

Assemble the pier extension tube and the reversed bottom plate then fasten to the aluminum adapter plate, already bolted to the tripod. Use 3 ea. 3/8-16 x 1-1/4 button head cap screws and a washer on each.

The adapter plate for the CGEM is securely fastened to the bottom of the mount. I used the 3 remaining pier cap screws to fasten the mount to the pier extension. (If you desire to remove the mount for transport use threaded knobs.)

Contact me if you have questions.

Attached Image:

howardgator's attachment for post 58292