Greased and oiled

Started by [email protected], 03/23/2015 08:12PM
Posted 03/23/2015 08:12PM | Edited 03/23/2015 09:56PM Opening Post
Have been having issues all winter, espec in DEC, due to the factory grease not being able to withstand the subfreezing temperatures. Took apart and lubed it up last night with Jet-Lube Arctic. I wish I could say it purs like a kitten but the CG5 mounts are just noisy for some reason. Anyways, it's much smoother now. I'll let ya know how the grease holds up!

I found that Goo Gone and a toothbrush were able to cut through the old grease (that had the consistency and viscosity of old rubber cement) much better than alcohol. Another rainy day I'll do the RA motor...

Attached Image:

brucesdad13@gmail.com's attachment for post 59244

~ Charlie Stevenson

8" f/5.7 String Telescope - 1st Scope Build; 2nd Place Stellafane 2016 Optical Award for Newtonians 12.5" and Smaller
10" f/4.5 Newtonian (June 2015) mirror refigured by Optic Wave Labs P-V WaveFront 1/14.24, Strehl Ratio 0.993 (Aug '15)
Criterion RV-6 seems to be circa 1973 (June 2015) [For Sale]
Celestron C8-A XLT (January 2015) [For Sale]
Celestron PowerSeeker 70AZ (Christmas 2014)
Aldrich Astronomical Society member since 2015
http://astro.charleskelleystevenson.com/
Posted 03/23/2015 09:02PM #1
Hi Charles,

I have done tune ups & re-grease jobs on several of the Chinese Vixen Clone mounts over the years, just a tip for future reference on the parts to be de-greased allowing them to soak in simple odorless mineral spirits for a bit, even over night make the removal of all of the nastiest grease & crud simple and easy. I used a couple of those large sized plastic coffee cans with a lid, great for dropping in the parts & letting them soak over night, pretty much come out of the bucket clean, minimal brushing or scrubbing. Let everything just set out to dry after a final rinse with clean mineral spirits! Just about any kind of container big enough to hold the parts you can cover while soaking will do though.
Posted 03/24/2015 02:19AM #2
I also did both CG5 mounts polished the shafts and regrease works much better. You are making great strides in the hobby.i enjoy it also just making your own improvments is very satisfying.
Pete
Posted 03/24/2015 10:42AM #3
Thanx to all for those product and technique tips! I've degreased and regreased all sorts of cold-weather gear over the years. It completely amazes me that so many precision devices from the factory use the crappiest lubricants imaginable! I recently got a new portable emergency generator. Very nice except near impossible to start in sub-zero weather...just when needed most! I had used the recommended SAE 10/30 motor oil. My neighbor (skilled auto mechanic) sighed and said to replace that crap with a good synthetic. Did that and it works fine now. My conclusion is that many gizmos are designed and built by people who NEVER lived in a cold climate. I once had a very nice Chevy Lumina. It was a great car EXCEPT the damned wipers would get completely encased in a giant icicle in that gutter at the bottom of the windshield. The retard engineer clearly lived in, oh, L.A. or some bastion of the differently-abled.

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos
Posted 03/24/2015 01:46PM | Edited 03/24/2015 01:47PM #4
Charles Stevenson said:

I found that Goo Gone and a toothbrush were able to cut through the old grease (that had the consistency and viscosity of old rubber cement) much better than alcohol. Another rainy day I'll do the RA motor...

I have always referred to that grease as...."Gorilla Snot". (o:

John
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX