NGC 2170

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Losmandy G 9 base plate

Started by jadamslh, 05/19/2014 03:24PM
Posted 05/19/2014 03:24PM | Edited 05/19/2014 03:27PM Opening Post
I just got a Losmandy G 9 [made for Celestron by Losmandy], and the bottom plate, which is supposed to attach the mount head to the tripod is different from those on the GM-8 and G 11 which I used to have; those mounts had base plates which were edge drilled and tapped for socket-head machine screws 120* apart which fit into L-shaped slots in the top of the tripod.

This one has no edge holes but six evenly spaced, countersunk holes for flat-head machine screws [#10 or #12, I presume]

Does anyone know if this was for a different type of tripod? The mount I just got came without a tripod. Oh, and the bottom plate has a 2" diameter hole in the center.

Any info?

Thanks
Posted 05/26/2014 12:54AM #1
The fact that the mount was made by Losmandy for Celestron led me to try it out on an OLD Celestron tripod which came with an orange-tube C-8 I was given; when I removed the wedge the bolt holes lined up perfectly!

The G-9 now sits outside with my B.O. 1278 on it. It tracks and works fine! Now I need to dig my Meade H.D. field tripod out of storage and try to adapt the mount to that. It will be a more substantial support.
Posted 05/26/2014 12:54AM #2
The fact that the mount was made by Losmandy for Celestron led me to try it out on an OLD Celestron tripod which came with an orange-tube C-8 I was given; when I removed the wedge the bolt holes lined up perfectly!

The G-9 now sits outside with my B.O. 1278 on it. It tracks and works fine! Now I need to dig my Meade H.D. field tripod out of storage and try to adapt the mount to that. It will be a more substantial support.