Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery


My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Need to find a dovetail base for this Maksutov (?)

Started by DanPen, 02/10/2014 01:28PM
Posted 02/10/2014 01:28PM | Edited 02/10/2014 01:29PM Opening Post
I'm a bit of a newbie to equipment, so I'm not sure what to even call this thing I need. I need the base plate that the dovetail plate at the base of this guide scope mount (see attached image) slides into. The dovetail ("male" side?) is 62mm wide and 59mm long. Triangular height of the dovetail is about 6mm.

The plan is to use the base plate to adapt this fine guide scope to my little NextStar (4 inch). But I do wonder what the extra weight will do to my tracking, which isn't very accurate as it is.

Where do I buy this and what do I call it? Thanks very much for your help. At the very least, I'd like to use this spotter on a tripod to watch birds, the Moon, planets... — Newbie

Attached Image:

DanPen's attachment for post 58175
Posted 02/11/2014 03:39PM #1
Hi Daniel,

I’ve seen these referred to as a "shoe" where the foot of the finder bracket fits into the shoe mounted on the telescope. The shoe for my Orion finder is a fairly common size but about half the size of the one in your picture. If yours is a non-standard size, your only shoe source may be from the manufacturer of the finder bracket. Other options might include buying a set of standard rings with shoe included that fits the finder, or drilling holes in the foot that corresponds to mount points on you telescope.

The finder looks kind of heavy so taping the foot to the scope ala Telrad/Quickfinder securely may not be possible.

Good Luck - Tom