change dovetails on a C9.25?

Started by karlw, 02/10/2010 09:11PM
Posted 02/10/2010 09:11PM Opening Post
Anyone here know if it's possible to change dovetails on a C9.25? Specifically, from the CGE 3" dovetail to the CG5 1.75" version? I read somewhere that Baader sells dovetails but I wanted to check here first before jumping in.

Thanks!
Posted 02/11/2010 12:37PM #1
Karl Winkler said:

Anyone here know if it's possible to change dovetails on a C9.25? Specifically, from the CGE 3" dovetail to the CG5 1.75" version? I read somewhere that Baader sells dovetails but I wanted to check here first before jumping in.

Thanks!

IOW, change from a Losmandy D to a Vixen format dovetail? Yes, you can do that. Not recommended, but you can do it.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 02/20/2010 12:09AM #2
Actually, it turned out to be easy. There are holes in the castings for both sizes. All set! I know that the CG-5 is probably undersized for AP, but for visual, it's more than adequate for the C9.25, even with an Antares RA 50mm finder scope and a Moolight focuser.
Posted 02/25/2010 09:13PM #3
The losmandy 9.25 dovetail at .7 inches is one of the thickest dovetails out there (I mean Losmandy's dovetail, not others that are imitating Losmandy). There are others out there that are .5 inches, same style.

I chose the Losmandy-by-Losmandy 9.25 dovetail to mount my ten inch Newt, had it customized to support the rings.

Losmandy-by-Losmandy dovetails also come with radial blocks which are very good things to have under your 9.25.

regards
Greg N

"Scope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no scope." --Freewheelin' Franklin