Do Shine a Bright Light on your Mirror!

Started by Jud, 07/13/2006 07:38PM
Posted 07/13/2006 07:38PM | Edited 07/14/2006 02:55AM Opening Post
OK! I have read all the dos and don'ts so I knew I could take it. After all I use a white light at times to collimate with my Jim Fly. Well, yesterday I decided to risk checking out all the pinholes in my mirror coating; as I said, I can take it. Wait a minute! Where did all those scratches come from??? My gosh there are hundreds of them. How come I didn't notice them before, particularly when I cleaned my mirror a few months ago. You gotta be kidding me? Panic Panic! Then I saw the small spider in a thin web near the trunion bolts. Serves me right for not keeping the shower cap on the end of the scope, after all it interfers with my battery pack and wiring to the fan.

So maybe it is not such bad advice to shine a light on your mirror once in a while, if you can take it. Took my wife's duster, estimated the distance to the mirror and then swept the cobwebs away. Scratches gone.

I Yam What I Yam!
Posted 07/13/2006 09:53PM #1
That spider web did pick the dust out of the air! But, hey, even a spider has to know where to go and where not to go. grin

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager