Lightning #1

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

EQUIPMENT DAMAGED IN SHIPMENT PROCEDURE

Started by nutmeg, 12/22/2012 01:41PM
Posted 12/22/2012 01:41PM | Edited 12/22/2012 01:43PM Opening Post
I shipped a telescope sold here via FedEx that got damaged in shipment. I had a local shipping company do the packaging, two boxes supposedly expert, professional methods on this job. I got a disturbing email today from the recipient that the telescope had been badly damaged in shipment.

What is the usual procedure in cases like this? I have already emailed the the shipping company and my insurance company. FedEx will need to document the damage as well as the recipient if they do not do their job. When should the paypal transaction be refunded to the customer?

I'm surprised that there is not a section dedicated specifically to getting shipping done right and prevention of problems on this site!!
Posted 12/22/2012 02:59PM #1
Make sure you notify the buyer not to discard any packing material. FedEx will likely come out and examine the damage and try to place blame on the packing company. I received a telescope a few years back that I thought was well packed. The scope was packed by a company that then used FedEx to ship out. FedEx did all they could to blame it on the packing company. It's not easy getting reimbursed . The most reliable shipper when it comes to claims is the United States Postal Service. At least in my experience.
Posted 12/23/2012 10:35AM #2
Thomas, I don't know about shipping places where you live, but I do not think I'd trust the ones around here to pack and ship something like a telescope for me. If you look at how companies ship the telescopes they sell, it may sometime look like 'over-kill', but I suspect that customers rarely receive damaged scopes. It's an inconvenience, but sometime it's best to hold on to boxes that scopes were shipped to you in.

Anyway, I hope you are successful in your efforts to be reimbursed.

Darian R.
Posted 12/24/2012 07:48AM #3
I just recently sent a 6" Reflector via USPS, with Insurance & Signature Confirmation to New Hampshire. Mount box arrived with some damage(I try to pack properly). The Tube Box is so far, Lost -In - Space. That tracking number(from my slip) did NOT show up in their system! Has anyone had to make a claim on Insurance? How do you "prove it's value). I never see just the tube for sale anywhere. I appreciate all advice.