IC5070 Pelican Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Lightbridge optics?

Started by ddrake, 04/28/2006 05:54PM
Posted 04/28/2006 05:54PM | Edited 04/28/2006 05:54PM Opening Post
I as well as a couple of friends are looking into these but want some serious feedback on the optics. Any reviews or first hand experience out there? Thanks.
Posted 04/29/2006 04:29AM #1
There's been a few positive comments in the AM and in Cloudy Nights but I've yet to see a quantitative P-V analysis with a strehl ratio or even a qualitative evaulation with a barlowed ronchi eyepiece. Therefore, I take the positive comments with a grain of salt.
As with any mass produced optics, some are going to be good while others are going to be borderline with less than satisfactory correction and or turned edges.
My advice would be to have it tested by an optician before the warranty expires...
Posted 05/01/2006 05:00PM #2
I have gone through a lot of scopes, and can tell you my 12" Lightbridge std. has some of the best optics I've looked through. Not only is the star test just about textbook, the view of Jupiter last Saturday night floored me; festoons, ovals, etc. I regard it better than my XT-10 I had; image seems smoother with better star test and no astigmatism. I am Happy! I use Tele Vue Naglers and Panoptics.

Alan
Posted 05/09/2006 05:55AM #3
With good seeing finally arriving in So. Cal Friday night, my 12" Lightbridge got a chance to show what it's made of. I gave it a very careful collimation w/ eye in the focuser, then laser, then star images. This is an easy scope to set up and align, especially after I put double springs in the primary cell. It looks as though Meade offset the secondary, although it may need refinement. Anyway, Saturn was getting low, so I concentrated on the moon. Straight Wall sunrise was wonderful, with the upper plateau lit up and strewn with tiny pit craters, while the plain below was still in darkness. Alpine Valley stood out starkly, and during steadier moments, I could see most of the rill, with some gaps, snaking its way away from Imbrium. My 8" f/8 is only able to resolve shorter segments, fleetingly. Crater Alphonsus has three volcanic vents, each with its own little 1 mile diameter crater, and here they were all resolved, with even smaller craters nearby. An additional indication of the good optics is the contrast, indicated by bright whites and pure blacks. Now, if Meade could just paint the tube rims and inside of the primary cell flat black (I did this myself), and sell an optional shroud and wheelbarrow wheels, the LB would be just right.