Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Meade 16" Starfinder Newtonian

Started by tvoydan, 09/21/2005 03:16PM
Posted 09/21/2005 03:16PM Opening Post
Any one have any experience with the Meade Startfinder 16" on the Newtonian mount? I might have an opportunity to purchase one in the near future. Someone told me Meade discontinued this scope and they are no longer sold new.

Thanks,
Tom
Posted 09/21/2005 04:06PM #1
http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=3&pid=898&m=
Still available, here is a link to Anacortes for one. There is information there and on Meade's own site for these scopes.
They are heavy and large, you will need a large car, Van orPickup to transport it.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 09/21/2005 10:53PM #2

A friend of mine has one of these scopes. For what they cost you get a lot of scope, but it is a fixer upper. The mirror mount is particle board and will pinch the mirror. The spider is weak and sages from the weight of the secondary mirror. The secondary is to big, 4" if I remember right. The mount is not strong enough for imaging. The optics are what I would call good. Now I know this sounds like it has a lot wrong with it and it does, but for the money you get quite a lot of scope. Which is why my friend got it. This was the most scope he could get for the money he had. If you don't mind doing some upgrades after you get it, I feel it isn't a bad deal. Oh yea did I say that it is heavy.
Posted 09/26/2005 08:30PM #3
I'm finding much of this information usefull. Thanks to all. Checking the yahoo group 'Starfinder 16' now.

Tom