Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Mirror coating ?

Started by matt elliott, 12/31/2005 01:54PM
Posted 12/31/2005 01:54PM Opening Post
I just got hold of an old coulter 13" odyssey 1 and it should be here in a few days. It was manufactured in 1988 and i was wondering if i should need to recoat the mirror? And if so has anybody had any experience with beral coatings or have any advice in this area. Thanks
Posted 12/31/2005 04:18PM #1
I just got hold of an old coulter 13" odyssey 1 and it should be here in a few days. It was manufactured in 1988 and i was wondering if i should need to recoat the mirror?
----

The mirror may be just fine. Give it good work out and see what you think. Mirror coatings can last a long time if taken care of, I have mirrors from the 70's that have decent coatings.

When I discussed the topic of having these mirrors recoated with the kind folks at L&L optical, they said that if the coatings "looked good" and if shining a bright light on the front side did not show through on the back, then the coatings were good...

Jon
Posted 01/04/2006 06:03AM #2
Hi, Matt, if you do decide to recoat, I would advise you to search the forum archives for discussions involving Clausing coatings. There's a lot of variation in different folks' experience, some good, some bad. But I can tell you that in the club I belong to, none of the coatings we've had Clausing do for us over the past few years (and there have been several) have lasted more than a year.

Doug