Royce DK's

Started by SunSpot51, 02/20/2014 11:36PM
Posted 02/20/2014 11:36PM Opening Post
Does anyone have experience with the Royce Dall-Kirkham's? I've talked to one person who has one and is very high on it, I'm just looking for other opinions as well. Specifically I'm looking at the 12.5" system.

Thanks!!
Paul Maxson

Paul Maxson
Moderator - CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System
Celestron C14, Mewlon 250, Orion EON120, ASI120MM, Flea3.
http://www.sunspot51.com
Posted 02/21/2014 03:38AM #1
Hi Paul,

I have had the experience of owning one of his mirrors, but not a full DK setup. I had an eight inch F5 primary purchased new from Royce in a refurb job, it's quality was outstanding. Visually I could get outstanding clarity @ F20 with even a medium quality Orion 12mm eyepiece on the bright planets & the moon. Deep sky was visually sharp with good clarity, and resolving power. Photographically it was equally as impressive, the mirror was coupled with a 2.14" Protostar Pyrex secondary. I was very pleased with it, but came across a 10" got bit by the aperture bug as it was priced to move.

Mark Jordan

www.thestardeckobservatory.com
Posted 03/14/2014 08:00PM #2
Paul Maxson said:

Does anyone have experience with the Royce Dall-Kirkham's? I've talked to one person who has one and is very high on it, I'm just looking for other opinions as well. Specifically I'm looking at the 12.5" system.

Thanks!!
Paul Maxson

I currently own the 10" Royce DK (enclosed tube) and love it for planetary and lunar use primarily - but the Ring Neb is a sight to behold through it. The build is pretty solid and collimation is easy. Compared to my AP178 refractor, it shows more color and of course, being f/20 - I enjoy using my Zeiss ZAO 25/34 pairs for binoviewing. I have to use a barcon ocs but well worth it. My Clave 55mm offers up spectacular wide (if you can call it that) field views. I enjoy the fact that I get large aperture and long focal length, can binoview comfortably with long focal length ep's and still sit in a comfortable observing chair for long hours staring at the planets. I had the pleasure of observing with a 16" Royce DK in the Keys at the 2013 WSP - absolutely fantastic and easy to transport to boot. BTW - I use the DK with an AP900 GTO and intend to try on my newly acquired DM-6. I highly recommend the Royce DK. Best Regards - Steve