Lightning #1

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Shipping telescopes, etc..

Started by nutmeg, 11/10/2013 05:10PM
Posted 11/10/2013 05:10PM Opening Post
I recently shipped an average sized reflector telescope with equatorial mount. A tough unit to properly ship, two others had been damaged in shipment, including the last one that I had paid a shipping company to pack and ship. I contacted Westport Astronomical to see if anyone there could help me get the job done. They said, no, they let ups store do their packaging and shipping.

I got the boxes at Home Depot with a roll of bubble wrap, probably their prices are as close to wholesale as anyone. Next I got a bundle of styrofoam nuggets at Claytons, a huge bundle that barely fit in the middle seats of my station wagon. Then I went to FedEx where they let me work and get the item properly wrapped and boxed up, etc.. This took a good hour and a half. There should be a shipping section there with recommendations with all the concerns and options to prevent loss and damage. I would be glad to field questions on the issue. Experience is a hard teacher, better get pointers from others.
Posted 11/11/2013 04:12PM #1
Packaging telescopes for shipping is one of those matters where the old saying, "If you want something done right, do it yourself", truly applies. When I package a telescope to ship, I approach it with the attitude that no one can do it as well as me.

Oklahoma State University--The University of Oklahoma!--GO POKES!! GO STATE!!