Image of the day

Captured by
Paul Walsh

Wet beak - he had just skimmed the neighbor's pond.

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Starblast 6 on a VersaGo II

Started by Big Al, 09/16/2010 03:25PM
Posted 09/16/2010 03:25PM Opening Post
Was not happy with the little table-top mount that came with Starblast 6, worked OK, but you need a level platform, not the hood of your car or truck, and the height is very limiting.

So I figured on the Orion VersaGo II with steel legs to be the ticket for a better grab-n-go. The OTA and mount weigh just over 30 lbs. and provides good height for shorter peeps, or my starchair at my 6'2" height.

Plenty of clearance at the legs with the short tube, can go up to 75* elevation at the legs, or near 90* in between. I also went with an Orion 8" dovetail plate, I think that is 3" wider than the Starblast mount holes.

Super steady mount, I have not needed to extend the legs at my height with this short tube reflector. Smooth hand slewing from the factory bearings, and it was easy to get balanced with the 12 lb. 750mm OTA. Circles as well for object locating. Good stuff from Orion.

Attached Image:

Big Al's attachment for post 51876

Alan Koff
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida 8)

XT10i & StarBlast 6 w/ VersaGo II Mount w/ Steel Legs
Oberwerk 15x70, 25x70
Siebert Optics 5.0,5.4 & 7.5 Starsplitters and 10,15 & 22.5 Ultras and 26 Performance
TMB Planetary II 3.2 & 4
Always shopping for more!

Xpert skier and spearfishing------>
Posted 09/16/2010 08:06PM #1
Alan Koff said:

Was not happy with the little table-top mount that came with Starblast 6, worked OK, but you need a level platform, not the hood of your car or truck, and the height is very limiting.

So I figured on the Orion VersaGo II with steel legs to be the ticket for a better grab-n-go. The OTA and mount weigh just over 30 lbs. and provides good height for shorter peeps, or my starchair at my 6'2" height.

Plenty of clearance at the legs with the short tube, can go up to 75* elevation at the legs, or near 90* in between. I also went with an Orion 8" dovetail plate, I think that is 3" wider than the Starblast mount holes.

Super steady mount, I have not needed to extend the legs at my height with this short tube reflector. Smooth hand slewing from the factory bearings, and it was easy to get balanced with the 12 lb. 750mm OTA. Circles as well for object locating. Good stuff from Orion.

I'm doing the same thing with my 4.5-inch StarBlast--great little scope, useable but inconvenient mount.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/