Nice Little Horsie

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

66mm-what's the attraction?

Started by Mark229, 11/04/2006 07:06PM
Posted 11/04/2006 07:06PM Opening Post
I guess I don't get it. You can get a 80 or 90mm. So what if you get some false color-get a filter. Maybe it's just me.
Posted 11/04/2006 07:36PM #1
Try do do some imaging with it, and you'll see... 8)

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 11/05/2006 07:35AM #2
It's a bit smaller and would make for a better spotting (or birding) scope if that is any interest. Also, using a filter in the day won't be much fun, and you will get a lot of CA observing a bird against a bright sky.
Posted 11/06/2006 04:51AM #3
Mark Norby said:

I guess I don't get it. You can get a 80 or 90mm. So what if you get some false color-get a filter. Maybe it's just me.

Hi Mark,
Well, I don't know if I can answer that one but I'll take a stab at it. I own a 66mm as well as several larger scopes, a 4" apo and an 8" Dob. I find the views through the 66 to be certainly different, but not neccessarily better or worse. There's nothing like viewing the Orion Nebula through my 8" Dob. WOW! But OTOH, at 14x with my little 66 I can get the entire "sword" in the field of view with plenty of space around it. M42, M43, and the tiny glow aroung Nair al Saif is visible in one field, and the Trapezium is resolved with tight pin-point stars. Many open clusters are just as pretty in small scopes, in fact the restricted field of view of my 8" Dob almost ruins my enjoyment of clusters like the Hyades, Mel 20, or even the Pleiades. Sure, I can resolve Sigma Ori easily enough in my larger scopes, but the 66 at 20x can resolve Sigma Ori AND Struve 761 with Alnitak stuck up there in the opposite corner. DSO's are certainly dimmer, but not really worse off. Globulars like M13, 15, or 22 are not resolved into stars, but have a wonderful cottony look to them. The Wild Duck (M11) has a bright star surrounded by an errie glow. Objects can be easier to find in a small scope with a wide but sharp field of view. The multiple Struve 2816 in Cepheus is easy to find and split at 20x with Erakis in the same field. There's no such thing as the "perfect" scope and my 66 takes only an additional minute to set up next to my larger apo or Dob. I did that when the comet Swan suddenly swelled up to 4.5 magnitude. The view of the core through the Dob knocked my socks off but the 66 gave a very lovely low power view with the comet and surrounding starfield, and I was able to see more of the tail. So yeah, I love my big scopes, but I still have an affection for my small refractors.
David E