Cassini in the EON 120

Started by cysmarc, 01/08/2012 04:27PM
Posted 01/08/2012 04:27PM Opening Post
Hi,
I have a wonderful EON 120 that is used to the "death" (but it is still in excellent condition). I have seen fantastic deatil on Jupiter and Mars (when it is in the right position). When viewing the Great Neb in Orion, I consistantly get "e" (now that I know what to look for) and sometimes even "f". My question is the Cassini Division. Why is it so hard? I see a greying at the edges of the rings but not that "black tak sharp pencil line" that i've seen others write about. What gives? Is it where I live (brooklyn)? But I've been told that light pollution doesn't effect planets. Is it my ep's? I use mainly a Meade 5.5 series 5000 (163x) and an 18mm Ortho with a 2.5 powermate (125x). They look clean to me, but I will say that when a bright star or planet is defocused there are many black spots all around, but this is even after I've cleaned them. Maybe it's dust in between the elements, but would that effect what I'm seeing?
Anyway, any info would be appreciated. If needed I'll get a new ep today!
Thanx and clear Skies
Itz

Posted 01/09/2012 03:54PM #1
e and f in the Trapezium are quite easy to see in a 4" refractor, and have been seen even in a good 80mm scope, so that is not a test of great optics.

Rolando