My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

stars thru 100mm ed

Started by cysmarc, 04/02/2006 08:25PM
Posted 04/02/2006 08:25PM Opening Post
Hi,
Ok guys bear with me!! Until now I had an etx 105 and used it on planets basically. Now I'm really enjoying multiple stars. I just want to know what's normal as I'm just leatning about my optics. Anyway, I split polaris at 60x.Is that expected?
Also at approx. what power are stars usually best looked at?
I find the view annoying at 180x. Does that make sense?
Thanx and sorry for the ignorant questions?
Clear Skies
Posted 04/03/2006 05:38AM #1
Also at approx. what power are stars usually best looked at?
I find the view annoying at 180x. Does that make sense?
Thanx and sorry for the ignorant questions?
Clear Skies
---------

Marcus: I am glad you are enjoying your new scope. Certainly the ED100 is a scope well suited for splitting closer doubles. In the final analysis, aperture rules here but refractors do a good job of approaching the theoretical limits, reflectors require more care.

Not quite sure what you mean whn you say the view at 180x is "annoying." Is it the dimness, it is the lack of eye relief, ie having to keep your eye right up to the eyepiece?? Eyepiece issues can be resolved. Is it something about the mount, vibration??

Anyway, there is no one magnfication that is best for splitting doubles, each one is different but in general, splitting tight double stars requires high magnifications, 180x is indeed a reasonable magnification for double stars and you probably will want to go somewhat higher.

Jon