My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Value of Swiss German brass refractor circa 1815

Started by nmunk, 02/18/2011 01:50PM
Posted 02/18/2011 01:50PM | Edited 02/18/2011 01:52PM Opening Post
Good day fellow Amarters,

I'm trying to help my step mother figure out the value of this piece of her estate.

The focuser is "craford like" in that: to focus one turns a knob on a perpendicular axis that pierces the right side of the telescoping tube it operates. It may have been designed for terrestrial use because it has no diagonal. The optics are very crisp however it has a slight dent half way up the main tube not in the light path cone.

The OTA/integral small tripod belongs to my 60 year old step mother's great grandfather, it is currently and has been stored in a small unconditioned building on top of their families old castle ruins in Switzerland. He passed around 1920 and she believes it may have been in the family before that.

I did not have a camera with me during the short visit but the patina and general condition seemed to me to line up well with the 1815 engraved date. I definitely believe it to be authentic and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's monetary value might be?

It is all brass(except the lenses) down to a tiny flip tab built-in to the thread-on eyepiece that can be rotated via a little nub to cover the small lens. Its around 80mm I suspect it to be around f/15-f/20, I did not find a lens cap although it may only be temporarily misplaced.

Thank you in advance,

_Nick
Posted 02/18/2011 06:43PM #1
Most of these early scopes that have any kind of engraving, like the date, usually have a name or some identification proudly engraved on it also. The condition of the main lens (objective) is important, especially since you say there is no cover now. A late 1700's to early 1800's just sold, from UK to California, for less than $1000 with some retoration work needed.

More info?
Posted 02/19/2011 10:38PM #2
I am no expert but was thinking it might have more value as a "home decorative item" than it might as an actual telescope...just a thought
Posted 02/19/2011 11:14PM | Edited 02/19/2011 11:17PM #3
Hello Nick,

Contact Don Yeier at Vernonscope & Co. they have a website, just google Vernonscope.. Don collects, restores, and resells antique scopes... He is a great guy to work with, with a few photos he may be able to give you a good idea of value. Don's business in located in Candor N.Y.

Mark Clegg
Pittsboro, N.C.
Posted 02/23/2011 03:29PM #4
Thank you Neil, Scott, & Mark for your informative responses. Your advice will no doubt help with her upcoming insurance estimates.

Best of luck & clear skies,

_Nick