Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Which quality 2" diagonal for 4" refractor (Celestron SP-C102F)

Started by skywindsurfer, 07/30/2015 08:32PM
Posted 07/30/2015 08:32PM | Edited 07/30/2015 11:18PM Opening Post
Which diagonal you would recommend for my scope? I have a Celestron SP-C102F 4" refractor (with the 1.25" diagonal). However, I would like to upgrade to a good quality 2" star dielectric diagonal so I could start using 2" eyepieces. I found one diagonal, recommended by a friend, and supported by good reviews: a Meade 5000 2" Enhanced Diagonal (link below only for reference purposes)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=747092&gclid=CPrQ-u3Wg8cCFQ-IaQodPAENug&is=REG&Q=&A=details

However, I have just found that this diagonal would not work with my (refractor) scope... Luckily I found it out before I bought one... What would be your suggestion for quality, but still reasonably priced i.e. up to $200, diagonals for my scope? Thanks a lot!

Celestron SP-C102F
Posted 07/31/2015 01:30PM #1
Looks to me like that Meade diagonal has a standard 2" nose piece that will fit just fine in your Celestron refractor. From what I read in the link you provided it either comes with an SCT thread adaptor that you wouldn't use, or the 2" nose piece is removable (that's what I think) to expose a 2" SCT thread.

To answer your original question, I hear good things about William Optics, although I've never used one of their 2" diagonals. My kids use a 1-1/4" WO diagonal, though, which I kept for them over an Orion unit. The WO diagonal was better built.